Your worst possible starting positions?

I'm sure there's been a thread somewhere of people's best starting positions with live twenty-odd geysers (Not really) near to the temperate biome and a bunch of easily accessible water reservoirs, germless contaminated water supplies with no slimelung risk, and so on.

But what about those cases where RNG was not as generous to you? I had a pretty bad start here, and it got me thinking how much worse it could have been.

So in this case, this is my temperate biome.

20171009163708_1.thumb.jpg.cec2d5238fff1c2ea41a11775f1774aa.jpg

There's a small pocket of algae to get my Algae Deoxydizer going at least, but there's very little in the way of plants. Only one Mealwood plant in immediate reach. Not only that, but there's a very dire lack of Copper Ore, which means that my Raw Metal count is very low. This makes it hard to make a lot of the baseline stuff for getting started. Not only that, but there's a bigger problem, that I didn't notice at first. See if you can find it first, before scrolling down.

Okay, so the problem I didn't notice is with the body of water directly above my Printing Pod. There are three blocks keeping it from flooding my starting point: 1 Fertilizer block and 2 Oxylite blocks. Now obviously, the oxylite isn't there to stay. It's gone in a cycle's time or two, so...

20171009173410_1.thumb.jpg.978247e5e35600e7f632aa13ce3754d8.jpg

Fastforward a couple cycles, and the oxylite is gone, leaving only a block of fertilizer keeping the water out. As you can see, it's not gonna work. It's already weakening, and water's seeping through the cracks into my base. The only thing I can do is try and make a big enough hole for it to go. But my only options are a body of water, or a small body of water. Annnd...

20171009173745_1.thumb.jpg.d3283332f7f634195081c7d167196ed9.jpg

Ohhh, my duplicants got so wet and so stressed...so early into the game...

So have any of you had any worse starts? Any of those stories to tell? Did you abandon them immediately or try to turn it into a sustainable place?

PS, I think that exposed wire is an electrical hazard, now...

Archived