[Code Help] Asymmetrical Character

Newb question here:

This is my first post on these forums. I've played around with DST modding for a little while now and it's quite fun. Now that I've started getting my bearings I wanted to do something a bit more- something that actually requires minor coding so that I can start learning how to code from scratch. I considered doing a mod with an asymmetrical character (or at least a character with an asymmetrical face), and found this thread here:

I didn't want to necro-post the thread, since it was two years old, but it seems that the code doesn't work quite the way I expected it to, particularly in that it doesn't work. I ran into an issue where there was an error at "FRAMES = GLOBAL.FRAMESlocal" when trying to load the mod. I followed the steps as was instructed before altering any of the code, and I still had the error. I have very little experience with lua, but I have some rather ancient experience with VB and I thought it would work roughly the same (or at least give me a footing to start learning). I still can't figure out why it's erroring. Would anyone mind helping me figure it out? As always, please and thank you!

At the time of posting this comment, my original post still hasn't been approved by a moderator, but I'll reply to it anyways.

So I fiddled around with the code, and eventually got it to work (sort of), but I found a different method of coding it that works much better for what I wanted to achieve:

Their are two flaws to this method that I've found.

First, when the character faces left, they are no longer holding their pick in their left hand, but suddenly their right (the arm behind the player). I was wondering if there was a way to force them to use the other hand without messing up the .scml file.

Second, when the player spawns in the world, they begin invisible, and they are invisible on the character select screen.

Update:

For the first problem: As far as I've been able to tell, there's not much code that can effect the animations in the way I was hoping to. I think I'll just have to build custom animations. Wish me luck. I'm not used to modding 2d games, so this feels really foreign to me.

For the second problem: I haven't had enough coffee to look into it yet, but I bet it has something to do with not checking the direction before the character moves, so it simply doesn't load anything until the player moves left or right.

I'll just keep updating this thread whenever I have time to work on this. It's had a few views and either no one knows or no one who knows is around to help.

It took me until yesterday, after much time of playing DST, to realize that EVERY character uses the rear hand, regardless of which way they are facing. I can't believe I didn't notice this. I feel like a buffoon because I'm normally very observant of graphical details. XD
So I guess I'm not worried about that any more. Though I will admit that my adventures in spriter helped me fix the ear placement of another character I've been working on for a friend.

If you want to mess around in spriter, check out this video and this tutorial to help you get started. They both helped me a fair bit even though I didn't really do a whole lot in the program.

I still can't figure out why it's not showing the character in the select screen and when I first spawn into the world- even when I load a world that the character has already spawned in. I've tired a few different things, and the only time I came close, it was no longer using the player_left build for when they faced left. When I figure out the problem, I'll post my code.
If anyone finds a solution before I do, I'll bake you a tray of cookies.

I really wish I had more time to play with mods. I'm have a lot of fun, even though I keep running into walls. :p