Transferring server host to a new computer

I started hosting a DST server on one computer of mine, and would like to transfer the server to another computer to continue playing. All the guides I've found while searching are a year old or more, and seem to refer to outdated file structures. Specifically, they reference transferring files from Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\save, as though there were a single file located there that would, when moved, contain all the server data. However, in the current file structure, each server appears to be represented by a folder named Cluster_# found in Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether. There's no folder named save, and simply transferring the Cluster_1 folder onto the other computer did not work.

Does anybody have a more up-to-date process on how to do this?

Hi!

Moving just the Cluster_# folder is not enough, as you already noticed. You have to move client_save folder as well:
\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\client_save

You probably would only need some files/folders from the inside, but moving it whole worked for me, so I haven't tested what is important and what's not.

5 hours ago, Tsuwamono said:

Hi!

Moving just the Cluster_# folder is not enough, as you already noticed. You have to move client_save folder as well:
\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\client_save

You probably would only need some files/folders from the inside, but moving it whole worked for me, so I haven't tested what is important and what's not.

Thanks, mate. That got it working.

I'll add a note for another small thing I worked around for anyone else in the future: I had already hosted a server on the new computer, which titled itself Cluster_1, and the server I was moving from the old computer was also Cluster_1. Naturally the two can't both be named Cluster_1, but you can't just change the Cluster_# to get it to appear in a different slot either. If you rename one of them, i.e. Cluster_1_Wolfgang, you can just swap back and forth between them by swapping which one is Cluster_1. Just make sure that you Merge both computers' client_save folders.

Archived