The Other Type of Hatch

As I get better at organizing my base, one problem I'm running into more and more is needing to block off my ladders. If we're digging up into ice there is a ton of polluted water run off.

I also would like a manual way to seal off my base vertically where I can open the door and air out if I want. Yes I can use a valve, but sometimes I just want to open the airlock and let air cycle through.

Lastly, when directing water I want to be able to seal the ladder off so I don't lose clean water that way or have to build and deconstruct a block every time.

I know we can place doors sideways, but it bugs my OCD to not have a one wide entrance close off. I need to access the ladder, but would rather build/unbuild blocks then have a two wide door on top of my one wide ladder.

My solution would be a one block door that would serve as a hatch and default place sideways. It would be able to be rotated horizontally as well so that you could create "doggie doors" for creatures you want to lure into your base.

Not functionally necessary, but it wouldn't hurt.

I'd also like a different type of automatic hatch/door - one that opens when it receives power and closes when it's off the grid. Some of the most fun you have in this game is messing with gasses and liquids outside of pipe system, and this would help. It would also sometimes accidentally catch a flailing duplicant by its head.

Archived