Creatures, Crops & Ideas

Hi, I’ve decided to make this thread to share my ideas to the developers and to also hear from everyone in the community about their ideas and suggestions as well. I’ve noticed a lot of people who are already falling in love with the Pufts, our adorable gas balloons that are at times infuriating to take care of and it got me thinking about animal domestication in the game and expanding on this idea since it’s always a concept that people find very important in community simulation games. I myself love being able to take care of creatures that reward me for such effort.

First lets talk about technology. Farming Tech should be moved into a new branch of our tech tree with Fine Dining moved into Interior Decor’s branch. The Second level would be Animal Handling, unlocking the ability for Duplicate’s to lasso docile, non-aggressive creatures. Enabling them to be moved from place to place given of course they can physically be moved there. This can take the in game form of a “laser lasso” basically making a leash that has the animal follow the Duplicate. Next is a trough where feed is placed for the animal, (where applicable, I will expand on this later). Now a special door that does not allow animals through, like a light screen door requiring electricity to maintain like the Mechanized Airlock, electricity goes out animals can escape. Next should be a climate controller, the fans are terribly inefficient and can only cool down areas making them hard to use for crops and in this case livestock as well. Now this device could also be added to another branch separate from the Farming Techs but is a necessity for development in the game. I would say each climate controller can only effect a certain area around it allowing you tell it what temperature you want that area to be. The Third Tier should have something that will allow you to breed your animals.

The first thing that pops into mind is a cloning machine like the printer for the Duplicates. First you would need genetic material from that animal either the animal itself or meat/resources from that animal. Then to clone it you need biomass, perhaps algae or slime, water & electricity. A larger crop plot, allowing lager yields of crops and perhaps enough space for bigger plants? And a Vito-Lite for faster Crop and animal growth. My second topic is just for animals suggestions. My first critter is a food animal, a beetle that can be slaughtered for meat and also produces nutritious “milk” like that made from cockroaches, link here: http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/08/06/488861223/cockroach-milk-yes-you-read-that-right this I feel would definitely keep with the games theme of “Slimy yet Satisfying” feel I get from all the current food choices. Both of which when eaten provide a minor comfort boost when eaten by our colonists reducing stress. Next I had the idea of an electric leech of sorts, a critter drawn to the power produced by the colonies machines who’s goal is to attach itself to exposed wires and appliances, draining the electricity but also producing bleach stone a resource that can be dangerous but also advantageous should your colony actually need the resource. Another physical idea comes from that of the Mynock from Star Wars. A flying space leech that lives on asteroids sucking electricity from ships that land or get to close. For more on them here is that link: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mynock they seem a perfect match for this game.

Now, I’m sure some variety of this may already be in the works but I feel like another race of aliens that we have to eventually interact with would be a great addition. A race that looks like termites I feel would fit in well aesthetically and they could live off of eating slime or algae a resource that we could trade them in exchange for other resources like metals they’ve mined. I also feel like they should be a lot like us constantly expanding searching for more slime and algae to feed their tribe. They’ll be naturally peaceful but become aggressive if the colony spreads to close to their territory or if their people begin starving they might decide they need to attack our colony to sustain themselves. Adding a new depth to the game than just us thinking about ourselves and strip mining our little slice of home. I also feel like the should need contaminated oxygen to breathe and each tribe would have tamed Pufts as they both like the same air and they’d eat the Puft’s slime giving them a symbiosis with them. Another thing to add would be a carnivorous species, dangerous but can be domesticated if we feed it meat. Maybe like a carnivorous worm that tunnels through softer minerals looking for prey. They could be tamed like dogs and can help protect from dangers and can also provide a slimy pet for our colonists to cuddle, reducing their stress. I’ve noticed a lot of people in particular asking about and animal like this and feel it would be a nice addition.

But what about something incredibly dangerous, that has to be eradicated or it could wipe out all of our colonists. A deadly parasite or fungus that has to be cured or else it will kill and spread through the colony going from host to host it eventually will kill all of our colonists if ignored needing a reason for our medical equipment as it seems most current diseases just go away on their own or at least the ones my colonies have encountered. Now for the plants, we have so few to currently choose from that I feel a few more would definitely help to diversify our current selection. First we should look at crop options I feel that a quick, easy to cultivate crop would be good but it should have a very low nutritional value, just slightly better than our mush bars but it makes Contaminated Oxygen as a byproduct basically it’s a very stinky plant that only just tastes better than processed dirt & water. While edible by us I feel it would be even better if processed into feed like for our beetle cows I mentioned earlier. Next would be a crop that would make our people really feel like they’re eating real food, a fruit comes to mind but one that comes from a large tree sized plant that requires a lot of upkeep to keep producing fruit. This fruit can be processed into fruit snacks or eaten raw as a feel good treat to help relieve stress in our colony. The seeds would be very rare though requiring exploration to look for. Another crop would be one that you can’t eat but think more of a plant that converts Oxygen into Hydrogen or can be burned as a substitute for coal because eventually we always run out of fuel. Another would be a crop that our artists can make fresh clothes for everyone else with, another possible stress reliever. Now I’m moving from my wildlife topic to a more endgame look. Currently our map is just a big square/rectangle that eventually just stops. I feel like our map should be round and our end goal being to get to the surface and trying to sustain our colony on the surface of our asteroid/planetoid (Technically the same thing) and once on the surface we would need to build a dish to send out a signal home or build a spacecraft to go to another place. Multiple ways to win and an eventual goal for us to strive for. The Outercrust of our planetoid could be completely barren void, gasses just simply drifting off into space. Which is also to take into account that the planetoid does have gravity, albeit reduced based on how slowly our Duplicates fall.

But perhaps that a bit too much for now. I’ll be active adding more ideas and such later on so please share your ideas everyone I’d love to hear them too.  

1 hour ago, HusseyMan said:

Next I had the idea of an electric leech of sorts, a critter drawn to the power produced by the colonies machines who’s goal is to attach itself to exposed wires and appliances, draining the electricity but also producing bleach stone a resource that can be dangerous but also advantageous should your colony actually need the resource.

That sounds like an interesting concept. I would love to see that.

Now, I’m sure some variety of this may already be in the works but I feel like another race of aliens that we have to eventually interact with would be a great addition. A race that looks like termites I feel would fit in well aesthetically and they could live off of eating slime or algae a resource that we could trade them in exchange for other resources like metals they’ve mined. I also feel like they should be a lot like us constantly expanding searching for more slime and algae to feed their tribe. They’ll be naturally peaceful but become aggressive if the colony spreads to close to their territory or if their people begin starving they might decide they need to attack our colony to sustain themselves. Adding a new depth to the game than just us thinking about ourselves and strip mining our little slice of home. I also feel like the should need contaminated oxygen to breathe and each tribe would have tamed Pufts as they both like the same air and they’d eat the Puft’s slime giving them a symbiosis with them. Another thing to add would be a carnivorous species, dangerous but can be domesticated if we feed it meat. Maybe like a carnivorous worm that tunnels through softer minerals looking for prey. They could be tamed like dogs and can help protect from dangers and can also provide a slimy pet for our colonists to cuddle, reducing their stress. I’ve noticed a lot of people in particular asking about and animal like this and feel it would be a nice addition.

in my opinion there shouldn't be any more combat than absolutely necessary, this is a resource management game after-all. As it goes for aliens and other colonies i think it would be a great addition except i dont like the idea that they are expanding and farming my precious algae. If a complete sustainability becomes a thing i think aliens should be a self sustaining colony, growing resources themselves and not consuming any from the environment (kind of like in dont starve). Also aliens should not attack until attacked first, otherwise it could lead to some unexpected circumstances that wipe out your colony.

But what about something incredibly dangerous, that has to be eradicated or it could wipe out all of our colonists. A deadly parasite or fungus that has to be cured or else it will kill and spread through the colony going from host to host it eventually will kill all of our colonists if ignored needing a reason for our medical equipment as it seems most current diseases just go away on their own or at least the ones my colonies have encountered.

yes, there should be more variety in decease and how it works in general.

Now for the plants, we have so few to currently choose from that I feel a few more would definitely help to diversify our current selection. First we should look at crop options I feel that a quick, easy to cultivate crop would be good but it should have a very low nutritional value, just slightly better than our mush bars but it makes Contaminated Oxygen as a byproduct basically it’s a very stinky plant that only just tastes better than processed dirt & water. While edible by us I feel it would be even better if processed into feed like for our beetle cows I mentioned earlier. Next would be a crop that would make our people really feel like they’re eating real food, a fruit comes to mind but one that comes from a large tree sized plant that requires a lot of upkeep to keep producing fruit. This fruit can be processed into fruit snacks or eaten raw as a feel good treat to help relieve stress in our colony. The seeds would be very rare though requiring exploration to look for. Another crop would be one that you can’t eat but think more of a plant that converts Oxygen into Hydrogen or can be burned as a substitute for coal because eventually we always run out of fuel.

yeah we definitely need more plants. As for food plants im thinking berry bushes, but not like any of the ones here on earth. Im talking weird alien world type of berries that can be harvested just like mealwood.

Currently our map is just a big square/rectangle that eventually just stops. I feel like our map should be round and our end goal being to get to the surface and trying to sustain our colony on the surface of our asteroid/planetoid (Technically the same thing) and once on the surface we would need to build a dish to send out a signal home or build a spacecraft to go to another place. Multiple ways to win and an eventual goal for us to strive for. The Outercrust of our planetoid could be completely barren void, gasses just simply drifting off into space. Which is also to take into account that the planetoid does have gravity, albeit reduced based on how slowly our Duplicates fall.

well , now im just stealing ideas from dont starve, but how about artifacts that need to be found all over the map and once you gather all of them you can assemble a portal at the top of the planet which is either an escape portal or the portal for real people to finally come, because remember these dupes are just clones. I know this idea has been used already but it worked so well in dont starve, because you can just enjoy the entirety of the game without worrying about ending it. In time you will find the artifacts to finally finish the game or dont assemble the portal and continue playing to see how far you can get.

5 hours ago, mr_anderson said:

well , now im just stealing ideas from dont starve, but how about artifacts that need to be found all over the map and once you gather all of them you can assemble a portal at the top of the planet which is either an escape portal or the portal for real people to finally come, because remember these dupes are just clones. I know this idea has been used already but it worked so well in dont starve, because you can just enjoy the entirety of the game without worrying about ending it. In time you will find the artifacts to finally finish the game or dont assemble the portal and continue playing to see how far you can get.

I was thinking about something like that myself. Like the whole reason we got thrown into the core of the place is because of some ancient alien relic, linking this planetoid to others (Maybe even a space station or old colony of theirs?) to help unravel a story about the alien race and the history of these planetoids.

5 hours ago, mr_anderson said:

in my opinion there shouldn't be any more combat than absolutely necessary, this is a resource management game after-all. As it goes for aliens and other colonies i think it would be a great addition except i dont like the idea that they are expanding and farming my precious algae. If a complete sustainability becomes a thing i think aliens should be a self sustaining colony, growing resources themselves and not consuming any from the environment (kind of like in dont starve). Also aliens should not attack until attacked first, otherwise it could lead to some unexpected circumstances that wipe out your colony.

Well, it seems that they will be implementing combat at a later stage because they have the job "Combat" but it doesn't really have any importance other than getting rid of the odd Morb here and there making me feel this will be more important later on. With the aliens I do feel like they should feel like a living presence more than just a resource or obstacle in our way. They could also be self sufficient but I feel like they should slowly grow in numbers so they aren't just a weak target for later game colonies, Them starting out with a cavern full of Pufts would help to mitigate the slime they need. Maybe every time they get a certain amount of slime they make another alien for their tribe. 

Archived