My thoughts on what i've seen from the game so far

First of all, I'd like to state that the game is awesome even in early alpha stage. I've played it for the past few days, and I'm on my third colony right now. The first two ended badly both at around cycle 30.I will only comment on my latest run since I played it more "micro managy" and I noticed some weird stuff, especially with duplicants path-finding while suffocating. Two of my dupes died from suffocation. Both times they were going back and forth on some ladders, with an obvious path to at least some oxygen. Both times i tried using the move command to no avail, however fro both dead duplicants, the move command cursor remained even after their death. What's even stranger is, that the second dupe that suffocated, didn't actually "die". He was dead according to the statistics, as in, he was not shown in the list of my dupes, however I received a death notification at least a couple of cycles later. The dead dupe was still wandering around base, going up and down a ladder. When I built a memorial for them, the others picked him up as he was still in the same loop and dragged him to his grave. The other obvious bug I've encountered is when they run on the power wheel and are starving at the same time, they don't automatically prefer going for food, and may starve if you don't intervene. Regretfully at the time I observed these, I did not think of making some screenshots, but hopefully next time I'll remember to do so.

From a balance perspective, I'd say that so far I've never been able to reach and collect bleach stone which is required for the hand sanitizer. Also algie seems rather abundant at first, but when you start using it to produce oxygen it runs out very very quickly. The bio distillers that produce algie from slime seem very inefficient, so at a certain point you have to make oxygen out of water.

Which brings me to the Hydrogen power generation. With two electrolyzers  I am never able to generate enough hydrogen to keep one hydrogen power station running even 50% of the time. What's even worse is when I went to the gas plumbing overlay and realized that the pump which was supposedly pumping out hydrogen from the top of my base was also pumping oxygen to the power station. Does this oxygen disappear? Does this bring down my overall gas pressure in my base? These are things I do not know. At this point I decided I was doing it wrong and I should use the hydrogen that was given to me for free and wait for hydrogen to build up at the top of my base before activating the pump. So I went on digging into a nearby "huge" hydrogen deposit, built a pump there, piped it to my hydrogen power generator, but still it was ~50% idle. What I thought was a huge deposit (1/4 of my base space so far) only lasted me 2-3 cycles, then it was back to manual power generation. There are a couple of smaller pockets of hydrogen right beneath the big one, which I initially though of connecting, however I no longer believe it is worth it. Perhaps some adjustment to hydrogen power generation is in order, or maybe I am going about it wrong?

Will post some screenshots of my current progress later on as it is my best run so far.  

One thing I forgot to mention which drives me absolutely insane is that when you select a task, you cannot move your screen using the mouse, haven't tried WASD but they've always been very sensitive for me to use.

And if I'm gonna go into UI stuff, another thing that is really annoying for me at least is that you have to chose priority from the bottom right of the screen. Perhaps at least for the priority tool a centered large pop-up allowing you to chose priority would be more intuitive, as well as hell of a lot easier to use.

The zombie dupe was really fun to read about :D

I've also had the problem with dupes suffocating on two-wide ladders and its quite annoying since there was no reason for them do die. 

I would love if I could change priority with my keyboard. Something like Shift+7 sets priority to 7. One thing I found weird was that priority 1 is lowest, priority 1 should be the highest, feels more natural. 

Yes the priority numbers difinetly wrong.First time i set my priority with 1 believing it was highest pririty, but i waited and waited and no one wanted to do the job then i read that the 9 number was highest priority! But i doubut that devs will change this because people (myself included) already get used to current numbers.

Archived