Character mod help: Bat neutrality?

Hello! I have a question on going about making a character friendly with bats. Its not as easy as just adding the tag "bat" to masterpost_init so... thinking about this has been interesting to say the least.

I know that I will have to modify the behavior of the batilisk themselves. Is this possible to do just on the characters prefab script? Or is this going to have to be more in depth.

I have just basic programming knowledge and after searching for anything bat mod related on the workshop to look at code and compare I have decided to come here for assistance. Any help will be greatly appreciated for I am stumped.

Sindrake

1 hour ago, Armyofsage said:

Hello! I have a question on going about making a character friendly with bats. Its not as easy as just adding the tag "bat" to masterpost_init so... thinking about this has been interesting to say the least.

Actually, in your case, it is.

Bats don't retarget stuff with the "bat" tag, effectively making them neutral to you.

And if you attack them, they will still go and make a circle and bite you.

So putting inst:AddTag("bat") in common_postinit (the usual place to put tags), is a start.

I know that I will have to modify the behavior of the batilisk themselves. Is this possible to do just on the characters prefab script? Or is this going to have to be more in depth.

To edit the behaviour of a creature, you have to use the AddBrainPostInit function enabled to use inside modmain.lua, so that on brain initialization, you can edit the tree of behaviours of the brain you want.

I have just basic programming knowledge and after searching for anything bat mod related on the workshop to look at code and compare I have decided to come here for assistance. Any help will be greatly appreciated for I am stumped.

Of course you should be more specific here.