[HELP] Dedicated Server Mods

Hello.

(My English can be not so good)

So, recently I bought Don't Starve Together and now I learning how to create a dedicated server, because I want to play this game with friend. Yesterday I succesfully created my dedicated server following this guide: 

Everything works perfectly, but I have now another issue. I really can't understand how to install mods into DST Dedicated Server for Windows. I tried almost everything and nothing good happened. Now, I have fresh Dedicated Server files, and I really want to somebody explain me how I should install mod for Dedicated Server. I want exhaustive mini step-by-step guide how to install this mod correctly: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=604322278&searchtext=tirix

I will really appreciate for explaining!

Thanks.

Hello @Dona7as, welcome to the forums. I'd like to suggest a method that would probably be best when making modoverrides.lua for your dedicated server. This involves generating an in-client server with mods that you want to use configured to the way you want it to and then just copying it over to your own dedicated server's folder. There's a probably more detailed guide out there, but this should work for you. 

The basic method is as follows:

Spoiler
  • Open DST Workshop and subscribe to mods you want to use.
  • Start up DST.
  • Click Host Game.
  • Click New Server in Slot 1.
  • Set the server intention in the Server Settings so the world can start.
  • Toggle the mods you want to use.
  • Configure the mods as you see fit.
  • You don't have to enable Caves for this so ignore all the other tabs in the Host Game screen.
  • Once done, generate the world.
  • Once connected to the world, disconnect from the server.
  • Now go to this location Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\
  • Under the Master folder, get the modoverrides.lua and that is the modoverrides.lua you'd want to use for your server
  • Now paste that modoverrides.lua in your own dedicated server.
  • There should be a copy of modoverrides.lua in both Master and Caves of your dedicated server.
  • Next go to Steam\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together Beta\mods and copy the workshop folders you need.
  • Then go to C:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods and paste the mod folders there.
  • Start up the server with the StartDSTServers.bat file.

For a more specific method that deals with Tirix the mod you want to use, follow below:

Spoiler
  • Open DST Workshop and subscribe to Tirix.
  • Start up DST.
  • Click Host Game.
  • Click New Server in Slot 1.
  • Set the server intention in the Server Settings so the world can start.
  • Enable the Tirix mod.
  • Configure the mod as you see fit.
  • You don't have to enable Caves for this so ignore all the other tabs in the Host Game screen.
  • Once done, generate the world.
  • Once connected to the world, disconnect from the server.
  • Now go to this location Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\
  • Under the Master folder, get the modoverrides.lua and that is the modoverrides.lua you'd want to use for your server
  • Now paste that modoverrides.lua in your own dedicated server.
  • There should be a copy of modoverrides.lua in both Master and Caves of your dedicated server.
  • Next go to Steam\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together Beta\mods and copy the folder called workshop-604322278 (that's Tirix's mod folder).
  • Then go to c:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods and paste the workshop-604322278 folder there.
  • Start up the server with the StartDSTServers.bat file.

Since you'd be running steamcmd to start the server, the mod folders should be placed in c:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods cause that is the location that the dedicated server will look into when mods are enabled on the server. Notice in the methods above we used New Server Slot 1 in the Host Game screen, that is because Cluster_1 (Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_1\) in the files is what is used for the Slot 1 in the Host Game screen. I needed to specify this so you won't get confused. Cluster_2 is for the Server in Slot 2 and so on.

If you get stuck on anything specific, let me know. If it crashes, attach the server_log.txt file from your Dedicated Server's Master folder in your next reply. Good luck. Cheers.

@Dona7as I believe so. You should be able to follow this same method while toggling multiple mods active then starting the server. Then it's just a matter of copying over the modoverrides.lua that the game generates. You'd just have to be sure you get all the workshop folders that steamcmd would need.

That's it I guess. There's probably a better way to do modoverrides.lua, but atleast it works. Good luck and have fun out there, cheers.

Archived