Starbound/Terraria Style Inventory Mod (Need quick ui help)

Hi guys,

I really loved this playing this game after I got it a week ago. While I was playing through it I noticed that that I found my active items being swapped all over my inventory bar.

I figured something like a Terraria/Starbound style inventory would be more useful  where the active tools stay on the number that they are assigned to.

I cooked up a quick mod (my first one) this night and I got it functionally working.

But I need some help with some graphical elements of the mod, mainly indicating the blank/dead space

Here is the inventory setup.

56e15bbf62a9c_ItemsSetup.png.fd3351ead67

If I press 2 to use the spear, the inventory will look like this.56e15bc16c962_UsingSpear.png.ef1ede50c8a

When I equipped the spear, if I press 3 to equip the shovel, the inventory will look like this.

56e15bc0367e9_UsingShovel.png.d5f1c2aa00

The blank/dead space where the now-equipped item used to be is unable to be used.

This is to preserve the ordering of the items in the inventory bar.

This means that the player will lose out on 1 inventory space at most, when they have an item equipped.

56e15d31429ae_TheDeadSpace.png.04e57c1c4

My question is, is there an easy way to grey out this space to show that it is not able to be used? The mod doesn't allow the user to use this space but its not clear to the user.

Edited by yechanhong