Thief 
A fictional Don't Starve Together story. 

A while after my previous adventures, I decided to server-surf and eventually found a little server in early Autumn. It was a Wilderness PvP server, and I picked Wickerbottom like I usually would. I jumped in and things went quite well. I made a little base in a pig village and resources were plentiful. Autumn seemed to fly by, and soon winter had started. I had plenty of food, but the chat was filled with people warned others to stay away from a three person group led by a WX-78. The chat reports detailed them as being trained killers and that they would attack on sight. I dismissed this as slander, and I was confident in my abilities. The last people who tried to kill me ended up as spider-chow. 

The only thing I didn't have for winter was clothes, so I prepared to journey to a nearby savanna to gather beefalo wool. I went to the savanna, but the beefalo were in heat, which delayed by plans. I had to wait a few days before they were neutral again, only surviving thanks to my thermal stone. But, while I was waiting the chat became more terrified. Apparently a coordinated plot to kill the WX-78 hadn't worked, and now his group was armed to the teeth. I was starting to get a little concerned about these guys, but if I killed them I would get tons of good loot. I shaved the beefalo and journeyed back to my base. It was there I encountered a lone Woodie. He surprisingly hadn't looted anything, he was just beside my now roaring fire and was cooking food on the crockpots.

We chatted over the fire as night came, and he told me about his encounter with WX-78 and co. He claimed they had attacked first, and then killed his partner. He asked to join my base, but I declined. I wasn't a team enthusiast, since it meant I had to share everything. I much preferred a lonely base full of loot to a huge base with no loot. As morning fell, he respected my wishes and set out into the wastes. I had myself a winter hat and continued surviving. A few days later, the notorious WX-78 and co paid me a visit. The robot was accompanied by a Wolfgang and Wigfrid. I grabbed my weaponry and prepared for a fight, but they seemed more keen on trading. They offered me pretty bad trades, trying to convince me to fork over my tentacle spike for a few pieces of flint. 

Perhaps the stories were false, and they weren't so violent after all. Then I heard the Deerclops growl. The trio sprung into action, taking a defensive position around the base and planning their strategy. For the good of my base, I hoped their strategy of tanking the beast would work. When the giant came, they tanked and killed it in about ten seconds. I swooped in and grabbed the eyeball. They wanted me to give it back, but I argued since they killed in near my base it was mine to keep. I don't know what happened, but their request turned into an argument, and that argument turned into a swear feast, and before I knew it I was in a full blown battle. His two minions charged at me, but I evaded them and used my boomerang against them. I tried to get in close to kite them, but fighting three at once was too hard. 

They couldn't catch me because I was kiting too defensively, but I couldn't do anything to them. Eventually, I was forced to retreat. They chased me for a while, then gave up and went back to their base. Now they had taken over my base, and I had a group of three armed warriors after me. This seemed no different than my former adventure (see "Trickster"), but a sixth sense told me this WX-78 had a lot of fighting experience (see WX-78 saga). I decided my best course of action was to get some backup, so I used chat to meet up with some of the players near some ponds. There was two Wilson's, a Willow, and a Webber near the ponds. Most of them were new spawns, and I armed them with spears and log suits, then marched them to take back my base. 

We charged WX-78's outmanned army. I stayed just out of fighting distance, getting in pot-shots with my boomerang and coordinating my army. Unfortunately, my slapdash group of randoms wasn't very prepared for a coordinated team, and they were butchered by WX-78's trio one by one. I charged in, desperate to save the last man, a Wilson. We fought close together fending off our attackers, as long as we were close they couldn't hit us. But, we started to freeze, and I had to place a campfire. When I went to place it, the WX-78 charged and the three of them stun-locked Wilson. I tried to save him, but I could only stop Wolfgang from hitting him. The other two finished him off. 

Normally I would have busted out a "sleepytime stories" and taught these punks a lesson, but all the reeds in the swamp had been picked, and they didn't grow back in winter. I attempted to continue fighting them, but their numbers forced me to retreat once I had sustained some damage. I tried to run away, but they were prepared for that this time. They spammed blow darts at me as I ran. My health ticked lower and lower until eventually it was too much. I died and dropped all my stuff. I almost started spamming chat full of curses, but I realized swearing at them was pointless. In the back of my mind, I knew they had won this battle, but they had just made an enemy with a plan for vengeance. 

Archived