Checkmate

Checkmate

A fictional Don't Starve Together story

I had been doing quite well on an Endless PvP server. Although it was a PvP server, it was actually a pretty chill place with a large resource trading community. I was playing as Webber, and I had my own little base with a Wilson. Wilson went to spawn (which was a basically a big trading hub) every day while I would tend the base and kill the pigs that spawned from our small personal pig village. But all of this changed one day, at night more specifically. A Wes came to our base at dusk and asked if he could stay for the night, we let him stay of course, but I don't know why he wanted to stay with us. This Wes was decked out, he had a Tam 'o Shanter and walking cane, but he also had a Krampus Sack. I asked him about the Krampus sack. He claimed it took him all summer to get the sack, so I congratulated him on it.

After thanking me, he went to one of our crock pots and loaded it up. Then, someone shot him with a blow dart. I couldn't see who it was, but they must have had moggles on. Wes went into full panic mode, putting on nightmare armour and drawing a thulecite club. But, the attacker must have fled because as day broke, Wes turned his panic to anger and blamed me for the attempt on his life. I denied it but he wouldn't listen, he told me that he'd spent hours trying to get this sack and I just tried a dirty trick with the blow dart. He then said that unless I gave him the username of the person who tried to assassinate him he would come burn down my base. He gave me four Don't Starve days.

I had no doubt Wes would attack us, and with his superior gear we had no chance against him. I told Wilson in chat about our dilemma, and he suggested we build an army so Wes couldn't attack us. I thought that was our best chance at survival since we couldn't find out who had attacked Wes. We began recruiting anyone who would join us, we managed to recruit a Wendy for AOE damage and a Wickerbottom for book support. We fortified the base as best we could, making sure the flingomatic had plenty of fuel and building extra walls. Soon it was dusk on the third day, the four of us were strategizing. We knew Wes would try to even the numerical odds, but what could he bring? Pigs, bunny men or other players would be the obvious choice. Wickerbottom thought he might surprise us by bring rock lobsters up to the surface, or perhaps lure to Moose/Goose to our base (it was spring). But in the morning we all prepared for battle, and Wes brought his army. His army was not what we wound have expected, it was an army of damaged clockworks from the ruins. He had two rooks, three bishops and five knights.

Ten monsters in total, it was a surprise for sure. Wilson and I charged forward, avoiding the rooks and going right for Wes. We were intercepted by his knights, who stun-locked Wilson. Meanwhile, the rooks had charged into our back wall, killing Wendy and leaving Wickerbottom vulnerable. I killed two of the clockworks knights, freeing Wilson, and with his help we killed the other three knights. Wickerbottom had ran towards us, distracting the rooks. Wilson and I charged Wes. Wilson was shot and killed by the bishops, but I kept running. I staring hitting one of the bishops, but Wes hit me with his thulecite club. I finished off the bishop and turned my attention to Wes. Wickerbottom had already killed the second bishop and was killing the other two rooks. I duelled Wes, it was an even match. His superior gear but weak stats vs my weak gear but superior stats. I saw Wickerbottom had killed both the rooks, but Wes decided to end it. He played his pan flute, knocking out both of us. He quickly finished off Wickerbottom with his thulecite club. He walked over to me and typed "good fight" in chat.

Even though we had just fought tooth and nail it was a little comforting knowing I lost to somebody with manners. Unfortunately for Wes, his victory was not long lived. He was hit with three sleep darts, rendering him helpless and a WX-78 walked up to both of us. He placed a stack of three gunpowder between us. I recalled this was the same WX-78 who had laid siege to our base on a different server. WX-78 backed away from the gunpowder. I rotated the camera angle to see our flingomatic was destroyed by the rooks and our base was more vulnerable then ever. WX-78 withdrew a fire staff and said one word: "Checkmate".

He lit the gunpowder.

Archived