[SUGGESTION] 3rd Cave Layer

4 members have voted

1. 1. What do you Want the 3rd Underground Layer to Be?

• Lava Caves
    • What I Described
    • Something Completely Different
  2. 2. How do You want Thulecite to be Obtained?

• Earthquakes
    • The Statues I Mentioned
    • Both
  3. 3. How do You Want Nightmare Fuel to be Obtained?

• The Nightmare Pockets
    • Shadow Creatures
    • Both

Many people want a 3rd Underground Layer, but my ideas are pretty different, and as such, I have created a new topic. Here are my ideas:

I see that everyone wants LAVAAAAAACAVESOMGILUVTHIS, but because the Nightmare Lights are powered by Nightmare Fuel "extracted from unknown depths below" [The Wiki], wouldn't it make more sense if it was a layer where there are always Shadow Creatures and Nightmare Fuel pockets? Also, the Ancients abused Nightmare Fuel just like humans abuse oil, right? So, if we extract other minerals from where we extract oil, then the ancients must have extracted their other important material (Thulecite) from about the same level as Nightmare Fuel. It now seems simple - this level must have:

1. LOTS of shadow creature (This is, after all, their origin point);

2. Nightmare Fuel Pockets;

3. Thulecite from earthquakes/rocks.

BUT WAIT!

The Ruins (which are, remember this, below the caves) do not experience earthquakes, meaning that earthquakes are produced in the caves and nowhere else. This means that Thulecite cannot be obtained from earthquakes, and, because the amount of stones is small even in wild parts of the ruins, this layer (The Shadow Layer?) will have even less rocks. And thulecite should be renewable, anyways. So what do we do? Here's what: Drum Roll Please: SELF-REGENERATING STATUES! TAM TAM TAAAAAM! And this is how it would be most realistic.

EDIT: Ruins do experience earthquakes, so I guess it could be one way of making Thulecite renewable. And also, you're not mining Nightmare Fuel with a pickaxe. It's like trying to get rid of water with a hammer. Maybe a bucket, like the unimplemented one?

Wait, so if the shadow layer is where the [ruins people] got their thulecite and nightmare fuel, wouldn't you only be able to obtain such things in there most base form? Possibly having to use a multistep process to unearth thulecite. Say, you find a "suspicious crack" in the ground, you hammer it open, you then unearth a bunch of "shiny dirt" beneath it, and then you dig that and a  thulecite rock, not unlike those which produce gold on the surface, comes out of the hole, which you then have to mine with a pickaxe.

Perhaps a similar function for nightmare fuel? You break the ground and a fountain of the stuff starts spurting out and you have a few seconds to bucket it up before it goes away?

Archived