libcurl4-gnutls-dev:i386 conflicts with AMD proprietary driver (Ubuntu 14.04, Steam)

Hello,

after I did not run my dedicated server for some time (months), the server did not start up and greeted me with the following message:

./dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer: error while loading shared libraries: libcurl-gnutls.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So I found out, that I was missing the gnutls-enabled curl version for the i386 system, which can be installed using this command:

apt-get install libcurl4-gnutls-dev:i386

That, however, would have forced (amongst a lot of other packageds) my propietary AMD display drivers to be uninstalled; I did not want to do this.

The solutions was to simply copy over the files libcurl-gnutls.so.4 and its linking target libcurl-gnutls.so.4.2.0 from the i386 steam runtime (residing in ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu) into the /bin/lib32 directory within my DST_dedicated_server directory (however it is called in your case).

I do not exactly know, why that error turned up in the first place, because I would think that the steam runtime files are used by the server anyway - but that was my solution, maybe it'll be of help to others, as well.

Great game!!

Archived