Reveal map area *with* entities?

I'm posting this question in the mods section because I have a feeling a solution, if one exists, will be in the form of a mod.

In regular Don't Starve, when you use the ShowArea(int, int, int, int) method, it reveals map terrain and the entities in the radius. In DST, the same method only reveals terrain without entities, even if the host is the one doing the revealing. I suspect this is because in DST, the server (dedicated or not) is the arbiter on what entities clients can see.

Having said that, I am also suspicious that this may actually be an issue with the minimap system rather than not having data loaded, because modifying clients' FOV to something ludicrously high and having them run around at high speeds has entities being loaded up already with no apparent lag spikes.

My question: Is there a way to force a DST server to send the necessary data to clients so that they can view entities in areas they haven't explored yet, or is this a case of the minimap inner-workings still being buried in native code that the Lua API can't interact with?

Archived