[General] - mainfunctions.lua:SetDebugEntity breaks when debug-entity is set to an "non-entity" (missing member-check)

JurkerKunde

Bug Submission:

Category: General

Issue Title: mainfunctions.lua:SetDebugEntity breaks when debug-entity is set to an "non-entity" (missing member-check)

Issue Description:

Version: 129194Don't Starve Together: 129194 LINUXBuild Date: 2015-03-05_11-21-22
I was tempering around with the console of my dedicated server, when I accidentally issued c_select(). After that, every attempt to c_select anything, crashed with

[string "scripts/mainfunctions.lua"]:364: attempt to index upvalue 'debug_entity' (a number value)

So did calling SetDebugEntity directly.

Investigation revealed that SetDebugEntity just checks for local debug_entity and tries to execute the member function .entity:SetSelected(false). The check should be extended to

if debug_entity and type(debug_entity) == "table" and debug_entity.entity then
This is not directly a bug, but since I had to reset the server, implementing this check would be very convenient.

Steps to Reproduce:

c_select(123)ConsoleInput: "c_select(123)"[string "scripts/mainfunctions.lua"]:368: attempt to index local 'inst' (a number value)c_select(AllPlayers[1])ConsoleInput: "c_select(AllPlayers[1])"[string "scripts/mainfunctions.lua"]:364: attempt to index upvalue 'debug_entity' (a number value)
-or-

SetDebugEntity(123)ConsoleInput: "SetDebugEntity(123)"[string "scripts/mainfunctions.lua"]:368: attempt to index local 'inst' (a number value)SetDebugEntity(AllPlayers[1])ConsoleInput: "SetDebugEntity(AllPlayers[1])"[string "scripts/mainfunctions.lua"]:364: attempt to index upvalue 'debug_entity' (a number value)

Thinking about it, it would also be good, if the check would be made before the call to inst.entity:SetSelected(true), as this fails, too.

function SetDebugEntity(inst)    if debug_entity and type(debug_entity) == table and debug_entity.entity then        debug_entity.entity:SetSelected(false)    end    debug_entity = inst    if inst and type(inst) == "table" and inst.entity then        inst.entity:SetSelected(true)    endend

If you dont want to have anything else in debug_value then an "entity" or nil, one could do something like

function SetDebugEntity(inst)    if debug_entity then        debug_entity.entity:SetSelected(false)    end  if type(inst) == "table" and inst.entity then    debug_entity = inst  else    debug_entity = nil  end    if inst then        inst.entity:SetSelected(true)    endend

That depends on whether you want to allow other types then "entity" to be allowed to get saved. I think, this isnt really necessary, but one could use this to store a no-the-fly function or something else, which one wouldn't have to store in a local variable. On the other hand other functions could rely an the fact, that there is an "entity" stored, too.

Archived