Ktools help Mac

OhSnapple

Hi, I've been having a bit of trouble setting up ktools on my computer. I'm using these threads as a guide(including the readme, included with ktools) 

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/27103-a-tex-converter-for-unix-linux-and-mac/ 

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/45616-textools-for-mac/?hl=ktech#entry580577

but, I'm running into a bit of a problem when trying to compile the tools. When I try to type "./configure && make" into the terminal when inside the ktools directory, all I get is this "./configure: line 3: exec: cmake: not found".
I have all the required programs, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Can anyone help?

First you need to install CMake, not just make.  2nd you need to make sure its version 3.0 or above of CMake.  All the current linux distros have a 2.x series so i had to manually install cmake instead of use a software repo.  Not sure what you need to do on mac but thats the starter info for it.  Hope its all you need. If not come back

First you need to install CMake, not just make.  2nd you need to make sure its version 3.0 or above of CMake.  All the current linux distros have a 2.x series so i had to manually install cmake instead of use a software repo.  Not sure what you need to do on mac but thats the starter info for it.  Hope its all you need. If not come back

I'm certain I have installed the program though. It's version 3.2.0, I've even opened it, and used it as an alternative step as directed on the readme:

Open CMake, select the ktools directory as the source folder ("Where is the source code") and whichever directory you'd like as the build folder ("Where to build the binaries"). Click "Configure" and select a generator (typically either a version of Visual Studio of "MinGW Makefiles"). Leave "Use default native compilers" checked and click "Finish". If you with to customize some compilation option (which shouldn't be necessary) do so now, in the options presented in red after the configure step finishes. If any option was changed, click "Configure" again. Finally, click "Generate", which should place the project files in the build directory you selected.

Everything went well, all the files seemed to have been compiled correctly. But, the ktech command doesn't seem to be present. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with this: 

CMake Warning at cmake/thirdparty/OptimizeForArchitecture.cmake:108 (message):

Your CPU (family 6, model 70) is not known. Auto-detection of optimization

flags failed and will use the 65nm Core 2 CPU settings.

Call Stack (most recent call first):

cmake/thirdparty/OptimizeForArchitecture.cmake:154 (AutodetectHostArchitecture)

CMakeLists.txt:49 (OptimizeForArchitecture)

It's the only red text that appeared in the cmake log. I'm not sure what to make of this, but I'm hoping you can help?

No clue what you mean by 'open cmake' as cmake is a command line utility program.  When you typed:

./configure && make

that is what will end up using cmake.   you just type it from directly inside the main folder for ktech.  what do you get with

cmake --version

Alright, I'll look into how to install cmake properly. Thank you for your help :-)

Based on what you posted, you did install CMake properly (even if the binaries were not places in your PATH), and the CMake step finished successfully; the message in red you got is just an unimportant warning about optimisation tests.

However, CMake only generates the build files (i.e., if configures the compilation process for the particularities of your system), but it doesn't compile the software itself. Did you actually build the project with the build files places in the build directory you selected? I'm not very familiar with XCode (the default generator for Mac OS X, selected in the screenshot you posted), but if you choose GNU Make as the generator there will be a file called 'Makefile' in the build dir, and doing a 'cd' from a terminal to that dir and then entering the 'make' command should be all you need to run the compilation.

EDIT: By the way, I'd suggest creating a specific, empty directory and using that for the build directory instead of your desktop, otherwise your desktop will get littered with a bunch of temp files.

No clue what you mean by 'open cmake' as cmake is a command line utility program. When you typed:

cmake does have a GUI :razz:.

Based on what you posted, you did install CMake properly (even if the binaries were not places in your PATH), and the CMake step finished successfully; the message in red you got is just an unimportant warning about optimisation tests.

However, CMake only generates the build files (i.e., if configures the compilation process for the particularities of your system), but it doesn't compile the software itself. Did you actually build the project with the build files places in the build directory you selected? I'm not very familiar with XCode (the default generator for Mac OS X, selected in the screenshot you posted), but if you choose GNU Make as the generator there will be a file called 'Makefile' in the build dir, and doing a 'cd' from a terminal to that dir and then entering the 'make' command should be all you need to run the compilation.

EDIT: By the way, I'd suggest creating a specific, empty directory and using that for the build directory instead of your desktop, otherwise your desktop will get littered with a bunch of temp files.

cmake does have a GUI :razz:.

Thank you so much! I finally got the ktech working. You are a life saver simplex! :D

Thank you so much! I finally got the ktech working. You are a life saver simplex! :grin:

Glad to be of service. If you have any suggestion on how to improve the README I wrote in order to prevent confusions like this is the future, I'd appreciate it.

Had just never used it outside of CLI before.  Assumed he had the wrong thing

Under Linux the CLI is the most used, certainly. 'cmake' is the CLI program and 'cmake-gui' is the GUI one (some distros split cmake-gui into a separate package). Additionally, under Linux and Mac it also has another GUI, a curses application (which if you don't know what is, it's a terminal application with a GUI built essentially from ASCII art) called 'ccmake'.

I usually just use the CLI utility, but the GUI ones are useful to visualise all the available build configuration options.

Archived