Custom Character Scripts?

Hey! I'm working on creating a custom Don't Starve character, but currently I've hit a problem. In attempting to create a fully customize script for my new character, I found myself unable to determine the names of certain script actions such as...

Whenever it calls up,

Tree =

Hey! I'm working on creating a custom Don't Starve character, but currently I've hit a problem. In attempting to create a fully customize script for my new character, I found myself unable to determine the names of certain script actions such as...

Whenever it calls up,

Tree =

ACTIONFAIL =

{

SHAVE =

{

AWAKEBEEFALO = "I don't think she'd take kindly to that.",

GENERIC = "That's unshavable.",

NOBITS = "But it's already as smooth as a baby's rear end.",

},

STORE =

{

GENERIC = "It wouldn't fit.",

NOTALLOWED = "That can't go in there.",

},

},

Ah sorry, I mean I've edited most of the existing text as is. That the Character Mod suggests in the sense of..

GLOBAL.STRINGS.CHARACTERS.WAX.DESCRIBE.COOKEDMONSTERMEAT = "I think it moved."
        GLOBAL.STRINGS.CHARACTERS.WAX.DESCRIBE.COOKEDSMALLMEAT = "It's a bit small, but it'll do."

These ones work, by using the words provided in that same speech-file. But then there are ones that spread out into several options with the same item like

-- COOKPOT =
        -- {
                        COOKING_LONG = "Wait for it..."
                        COOKING_SHORT = "Here it comes!"

And I'm not sure how to list it in the [ GLOBAL.STRINGS.CHARACTERS.WAX.DESCRIBE. ] format, and it's really troubling since most of these are the general descriptions the characters will make.

@Mirrorrabbit, oh I see.

It's quite simple, actually. Let me explain with an example:

ACTIONFAIL =    {        SHAVE =        {            AWAKEBEEFALO = "I don't think she'd take kindly to that.",            GENERIC = "That's unshavable.",            NOBITS = "But it's already as smooth as a baby's rear end.",        },    },

In here, "ACTIONFAIL" is a "parent" element (it comes before the "=" sign) and "SHAVE" is its "child" element (it comes inside the brackets for "ACTIONFAIL")

So you would write it as:

ACTIONFAIL.SHAVE

to refer to it.

Similarly, if you want to refer to the inner-most string, you would keep writing a dot between each parent-child relation.

In this case,

ACTIONFAIL.SHAVE.AWAKEBEEFALO = "I don't think she'd take kindly to that.",ACTIONFAIL.SHAVE.GENERIC = "That's unshavable.",ACTIONFAIL.SHAVE.NOBITS = "But it's already as smooth as a baby's rear end.",

Since these are all related to your character, you would use this before them (as a parent element):

GLOBAL.STRINGS.CHARACTERS.WAX

All together, that makes something like this:

GLOBAL.STRINGS.CHARACTERS.WAX.ACTIONFAIL.SHAVE.NOBITS = "But it's already as smooth as a baby's rear end."

Understanding the syntax is really useful, you'll be able to figure them all out on your own.

The syntax is like this when using brackets,

Parent = {    Child_of_Parent = {        Grandchild_of_parent = "Hey there",        Another_Grandchild = "Hello"    },    Another_Child_of_Parent = "I don't have children"}

Commas ( " , " marks ) separate children from each other inside the same parent group.

And the syntax when using dots:

Parent -- Root parentParent.Child_of_Parent -- First childParent.Child_of_Parent.Grandchild_of_parent = "Hey there" -- First grandchildParent.Child_of_Parent.Another_Grandchild = "Hello" -- Second grandchildParent.Another_Child_of_Parent = "I don't have children" -- Second child

Remember, every element can only have one parent, but every parent can have multiple children (and grandchildren, etc)

Hope this helps!

Archived