Custom Character Creation - Template Meanings

So, I, like many people I'm trying to create my own custom character that I can use to avoid being hungry. The problem I'm running into is it being overwhelming. I'd like to find a way to organize it into almost like a flow chart to create the character, like, create the entire character you want, then make these individual parts, then make these emotions, and then these different body parts, etc. I used to be a more artistic person when I was younger but have since lost a lot of that spark. I could just be so used to structure that my brain doesn't want to open up to filling in all the blanks for creating the character, but I'd like to learn.

So I guess what I'm asking or inquiring about, is in what order should I go for creating my character and for designing the sprite? Do I start with the idea of the character and then try my best to design the sprite parts? What emotions are the different faces/what animations are the different body parts? Is there perhaps something I can do that will make the process less overwhelming, like drawing my character out on paper? I'm open to any and all instructions/ideas.

So, I, like many people I'm trying to create my own custom character that I can use to avoid being hungry. The problem I'm running into is it being overwhelming. I'd like to find a way to organize it into almost like a flow chart to create the character, like, create the entire character you want, then make these individual parts, then make these emotions, and then these different body parts, etc. I used to be a more artistic person when I was younger but have since lost a lot of that spark. I could just be so used to structure that my brain doesn't want to open up to filling in all the blanks for creating the character, but I'd like to learn.

So I guess what I'm asking or inquiring about, is in what order should I go for creating my character and for designing the sprite? Do I start with the idea of the character and then try my best to design the sprite parts? What emotions are the different faces/what animations are the different body parts? Is there perhaps something I can do that will make the process less overwhelming, like drawing my character out on paper? I'm open to any and all instructions/ideas.

You know, drawing your character on paper might not actually be a bad idea if you aren't able to get a drawing tablet to digitally create your character with ease.  It might be a little more painstaking but with the right tools you could... 

Get some plain paper, preferably sketchbook paper... use the extended character template to reference from... 

Then when you're done drawing you can scan it onto a computer... I'd recommend gimp to edit your art to make it look better... Change saturation and such... What would make the process longer than doing it digitally would having to make the image transparent and with one or two tutorials it wouldn't be hard.  You know, I could make a youtube tutorial on this! I bet it would be rather easy.  As for making it less overwhelming (as this might seem) the way I'm making my character seems to work for me and the only thing making me anxious is knowing what emotion each facial expression is for. 

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/46849-tutorial-using-extended-sample-character-template/

If you don't have that yet, it's a very good tutorial and my steps tend to follow with it but I am going to make my speech last.  Probably in a later update since I really want to play the design I made.  

Or of course, you could try to find someone who is willing to make it for a price.  Since it's all hand-drawn the cost seems to be roughly 50-60 dollars. 

Would a tutorial help with this?  I wouldn't mind making one since I plan to start a youtube channel for art anyways.  

For creating a character if that wasn't the right answer, there're tons of things you can do!  I have an app I use called "RPG character developer" which is really neat. It's on android, I'm not sure about apple, and there's stuff like it online.  I also use imvu, Gaia, and other such avatar websites, as silly as they are, to design a character.  

I hope this helps!