[Gameplay] - Sight round objects

Bug Submission:

Category: Gameplay

Platform: Mac

Issue Title: Sight round objects

Issue Description: Just had a situation where a guard was stood right next to a bunk bed (quite a tall object). Banks was 7 or 8 squares away on the far side of the bunk bed. I did not expect the guard to see her. It doesn't look like he should.

This part of the game is not very consistent and when its counterintuitive it is a bit of a spoil.

As another example, the agents can hide behind weights on the floor if they're next to the weights, which also seems unrealistic.

I presume the calculation is related to the proximity of the player to the object, but you need some sort of factor for if the guard is stood right behind a tall object - he should not be able to see through it. Generally, the nature of the objects doesn't have quite enough fidelity in whatever calculation decides if you're seen - something you notice more after playing a while.

Steps to Reproduce: see issue

As far as I can tell, the only factor in LOS is whether or not you are right next to an object. When you move your movement cursor over a space it will display a shield if that side is shielded from view (similar to X-COM's cover indicator). And being in that position blocks LOS for 180 degrees.

But I agree with you that it is not necessarily intuitive that large objects in a room only block a guard's view if your agent is directly next to the object and not one space away. Perhaps this could be clarified in the tutorial?

It is also not intuitive for this situation to block view (X = object, G = guard, @ = agent):

X    G

@

While on the other hand, this does not block view:

@   X   G

That being said, once you understand the rules (intuitive or not) they seem consistent. It just may be helpful to give more explanation to new players.

I think there should be 2 kinds of objects that can block guards vision. One is full height and one is half height, where full height objects can block everything behind it and half height object can only block vision if your agent is right next to it.

Archived