Endgame threats for experienced players

[Reign of Giants - Beta] General 

Caution: This post contains major spoilers of game content.

Main question: What does Don't Starve need to make it even more enjoyable? 
Answer: It mustn't get boring.
question: How can it remain interesting?
Answer: Forcing the player to constantly react on his environment and adapt to survive.

Feedback - How did that work out with the DLC?: 

What I like about it:

There must be a challenge, the player mustn't feel safe, there should always be something dangerous that can easily crush your base within a few seconds and end your life time.
So far, with the implementation of the giants I was and am very satisfied - now even a huge players base can be demolished and there are other threats besides hound attacks. 
The new seasons really make the game feel more dynamic and varied aswell as forcing the player to adapt and prepare for the different climates. 
The new biomes are a fine addition (deserts and woods with catcoons). 
I think with the Reign of Giants DLC Don't Starve became a lot more challenging. And Klei team, you are defenitely heading for the right aim - Thanks.
The new characters are unique and seem pretty balanced, especially Webber enables a very extraordinary gameplay

I also like some of the balance changes like: 
- making backpacks and many structures inflammable (I also like the fact that you can hammer them to still get half of the resources back AND I love that their remains trigger different dialoges when examined ;D) 
- Starving animals [Rabbits & Birds] (even if the 1 day cap is a little short), making cave exploration a real adventure and are for sure more realistic 
- Rain now is more meaningful as it accours more often,
causes wetness (and with it Freezing, slippery Items and drains more sanity)
and makes WX-78 early game harder (seems legit since he can become the most powerful character in stats) 

There are countless of other things I can just agree with because they simply widen the game's variety.

What I do not like about it:

For sure there are bugs and errors, but thats just part of an early access version, so keep in mind that I can only rate things the way they are right now:

There are just a few things that are a little annoying, like the fact that player build structures can smolder, in my opinion plants or even Trees would be more than enough because it just happens so randomly and can only be extinguished by touching the object.

After all there is just one thing that really bugs me and it might sound a little contradictory, but what was the idea behind making all the giants act pretty much the same way?

Deerclops, Bearger and Dragonfly are huge mobs with AoE abilities. 
All have 2000 hp and will usually destroy all structures on the screen. As soon as they get aggro on the player they will chase him down.
I agree that all of them are part of a season (Dragonfly - summer, Bearger - autumm, Deerclops - winter)
but they hardly differ from each other. One can freeze, one loves meat on the ground, one loves ashes, but in the end all of them are fought the same way. 
I know there are different ways to battle these creatures but usually you will fight them from the distance trying to stun them for a while to blow them up with gunpowder or the old bell and eventually finishing them of with some blow darts to get the loot. 
And to be honest I think there went quite a lot of potenial to nowhere. 
These enemies look unique and have their own theme, but after all it really drives me crazy that all of them require the same strategy. 

My personal suggestion: 

Instead of a giant monster that appears all 20-30 days I would prefer some sort of constant danger, something that slowly rises and expands and is a substantial part of the world. 
There is nothing wrong about a giant, but I would really concentrate on delivering constant pressure, something the player has to take care of for quite a while. 
When I talk about expansion many people will think of spider dens and queens, but those are usually far away from your location and can only increase when they get onscreen and a spiderqueen spawns, but I don't have a straight idea right now.
You can think of a Lureplants mutation spawning patrolling seed creatures. Something that really developes over time and spawns more and more devastating mutations. I won't go into any further detail, it is just the idea of driving the players nuts with something that grows and is taking control of the map and decreases the availability of recourses over time if you don't fight it back. 

After all I sadly doubt this idea will come alive but let's see what other people think of this. 

Thanks for this awesome game, greetings from Germany - Bananenbauer123

Archived