First(ish) impressions

So I have bought the game after watching

video about it. It seemed pretty interesting.

I played for a couple of hours, eventually learning the intricacies of the mechanics and I am now on the hundredth day on my most recent game with Wendy (which is my favorite character thus far) so I feel it is time to express my opinions on the game.

The difficulty curve is interesting, to say the least. The game began ridiculously hard - everything was a potential menace that could remove poor Wilson's soul from his body. My first games ended usually in less than 3 weeks of survival. But those deaths were also very profitable. I ended up researching all of the technology using only the items I found under graves and learning how to 'properly' set up a base camp.

Which eventually lead to the ease of this most recent game. By being a massive hoarder, I started by plucking all Saplings from the two connected 'circles' at the start and planting them down in the same place, doing it afterwards with the trees, then the grass and berries... Trapping rabbits was my main source of food until I made bee boxes and planted a large number of spider nests in one area (one area that is VERY dangerous at night, to say the least), so I now live off Monster Meat and the healing Honey. Oddly enough, I found berries and farms to be woefully unreliable, much less reliable than bait-less rabbit trapping and the honey/monster meat combo. So unreliable that I eventually stopped fertilizing them.

From day 30 onwards the game has become mostly a game of hoarding supplies 'just in case' instead of an actual fight for survival (which is considerably less boring).

post-3878-13764589532496_thumb.jpg

The upcoming update with the (potential) Spider Queen and Krampus sound like something to threaten my foothold (and my precious chests of endless supplies).

Regardless, I've been having a lot of fun with the game, even if does not pose as much of a challenge as it did on my earlier games.

But nevertheless, I have a couple of suggestions to make.

Suggestions:

What about XP being awarded at the end of each day instead of only on death?

Abigail should be unable to set off the Bee Mines, after all, she floats and should be intangible.

I played for a couple of hours, eventually learning the intricacies of the mechanics and I am now on the hundredth day on my most recent game with Wendy (which is my favorite character thus far) so I feel it is time to express my opinions on the game.

It goes without saying that Wendy is the best character. I'm still confused when people tell me they're playing as anyone else. ;)

What about XP being awarded at the end of each day instead of only on death?

Other players have suggested various methods, but in general we all agree that dying for the XP is not what we want. The good news is that Devs have heard and plan to make some changes. One of the more common suggestions however was that XP be rewarded whenever you enter the "Tent" (which is already used to change characters, and since XP unlocks characters... you get the idea).

Abigail should be unable to set off the Bee Mines, after all, she floats and should be intangible.

True... true. It happened to me and I lost 2 bee mines. Hilarious... but said too. Currently I can never go near my base camp at night if Abigail appears. I figured it was better to suffer the annoyance than suffer the wrath of the Krampus.

It goes without saying that Wendy is the best character. I'm still confused when people tell me they're playing as anyone else. ;)

We are at an agreement here. She is just better than everyone else. Even if Abigail killed me twice, killed my pigs multiple times and has the habit of periodically slaughtering my bees.

One of the more common suggestions however was that XP be rewarded whenever you enter the "Tent" (which is already used to change characters, and since XP unlocks characters... you get the idea).

That... Seems to be a pretty good idea, actually. Much better than mine, to be honest. Although XP would be quite pointless, since I already unlocked Wendy.

True... true. It happened to me and I lost 2 bee mines. Hilarious... but said too. Currently I can never go near my base camp at night if Abigail appears. I figured it was better to suffer the annoyance than suffer the wrath of the Krampus.

I had a full-ish setup at my base, some twelve mines. I was harvesting honey and running away from my bees when she appeared and set off some nine out of my twelve planted mines. Then swiftly slaughtered all of the bees. A lot of bees died that night.