Let's have some fun: A challenge to the Modding community

I myself am not offended by nearly anything. That said, the worst that's ever happened to me personally is someone telling me a bad knock-knock joke in the hopes I would some-how lose the gay. The joke goes like this: "Knock knock." "Who's there?" "God hates..." "God hates who?" "Fags."

That's strange... I could have sworn that the prerequisite for a joke was that it was funny. ;P

I personally grew up in a very rough town. People who were "different" were not at all accepted. Academics were shunned in lieu of sports. Gang violence. Pregnant 14-year-olds. The best friend of someone-I-sorta-know's ex-boyfriend is currently in jail for torturing a man to death - and so is his girlfriend.

It was not a good place.

So when I say I was beaten and abused daily for being who I am... it could have been a lot worse.

(Sure, I have crippling psychological issues that will never heal, but... at least nobody cut my legs off with a grinder...)

That's strange... I could have sworn that the prerequisite for a joke was that it was funny. ;P

I personally grew up in a very rough town. People who were "different" were not at all accepted. Academics were shunned in lieu of sports. Gang violence. Pregnant 14-year-olds. The best friend of someone-I-sorta-know's ex-boyfriend is currently in jail for torturing a man to death - and so is his girlfriend.

It was not a good place.

So when I say I was beaten and abused daily for being who I am... it could have been a lot worse.

(Sure, I have crippling psychological issues that will never heal, but... at least nobody cut my legs off with a grinder...)

Yikes. That really sucks. 

Aaaah, I like this! I'm a trans*guy so I'm pretty sure the Steam community wouldn't be too fond of me either. It's great to see a push for those of us in the QUILTBAG (my favorite way of arranging the myriad of letters) group to band together and produce content that includes people like us or items that celebrate people like us.

Now this is making me think of a transguy custom character who has to craft and consume T in order to get the beard grow mechanic/possible stat changes.  It'd be a nightmare to code all the time and dose dependent stuff though.

On the upside the character i'm ACTUALLY working on right now is bi and poly and will eventually be included in a pack with his boyfriend and girlfriend?

YMCA is kind of a gay anthem. Very campy choice, but definitely hilariously funny - especially if you're not expecting it. xD

Lol. Yeah I knew it was a gay anthem. I just have known that for oh.. 15-20 years and didn't know if it still was and if now maybe it would be considered mocking or something. Ok, well I have a rather funny plan for the sound then. It took me many hours just to do the art for the flag so we'll see if I can actually implement it since I haven't done sound before either. Btw, would there be any licensing issue there that you know of? Just using the song straight up(no pun intended :D)?

Sorry to hear about the awful things when you were growing up. Sounds almost like we could have been neighbors. I'm not saying I went through the same things, but the way you describe it sounds like a lot of areas near me. Jocks, gangs, pregnant 14 yr olds. Even 25 years ago. Wait.. am I wrong or aren't you from Europe? I thought everything over there was delicious food and sexy accents? ;) Please don't ruin my vision of Europe as a combination of any older Bond movie and Eat/Pray/Love...

Aaaah, I like this! I'm a trans*guy so I'm pretty sure the Steam community wouldn't be too fond of me either. It's great to see a push for those of us in the QUILTBAG (my favorite way of arranging the myriad of letters) group to band together and produce content that includes people like us or items that celebrate people like us.

Now this is making me think of a transguy custom character who has to craft and consume T in order to get the beard grow mechanic/possible stat changes.  It'd be a nightmare to code all the time and dose dependent stuff though.

On the upside the character i'm ACTUALLY working on right now is bi and poly and will eventually be included in a pack with his boyfriend and girlfriend?

Ok, I've sat here for a good few minutes trying to figure out QUILTBAG. I see the LGBT and know what they are. What are the others? I'm just a boring old straight guy so I don't get any letters. :C

EDIT: That emoticon ^ was supposed to be :( but it kind of works. I'm just REALLY sad.. or I have a long, flowing moustache.

Ok, I've sat here for a good few minutes trying to figure out QUILTBAG. I see the LGBT and know what they are. What are the others? I'm just a boring old straight guy so I don't get any letters. :C

EDIT: That emoticon ^ was supposed to be :( but it kind of works. I'm just REALLY sad.. or I have a long, flowing moustache.

UHHH well it's more like QILTBAG if i'm being completely honest, i just like having all the letters in there (and since new identities are being added all the time, you never know), but the way I understand it is *****/Questioning, Intersex, Lesbian, Trans, Bisexual, Asexual (NOT ALLIES DON'T YOU DARE), Gay. Perhaps the U actually does have associated groups but for some reason I'm drawing a blank.

EDIT; It censored one of the words. Uh. Alright, that's fair I suppose, though it's not really widely considered to be a slur within the community as I understand it.

EDIT AGAIN; I have edited this like a billion times BUT I just want to say I am also obviously not an expert in these matters so don't take my word as law, it's just how I've personally learned these things.

A couple of my best friends are Trans Guys! ^^

I must echo Mr Tiddles' statement - you're very brave to be open about it. My personal feelings on the matter are that someone shouldn't feel obligated or pressured to disclose such information - not because it's something shameful, but because it's nobody's ******* business!

A man is a man, and a woman is a woman - the circumstances of your birth are irrelevant to >99% of the population.

That sounds like a really interesting character, actually - I imagine without the T, you would experience dysphoria/sanity drain? Or perhaps you need to create two whole new stats!

A hormone meter, to manage the T, and a dysphoria meter that can be lowered by keeping the hormone meter up, equipping a binder, etc.

Setting all of that up would be a lot of work, I'm sure, but damn would it add a really interesting dynamic to the game! Trying to survive while also keeping the dysphoria in check...

I really want to see this happen, now! And not just because trans representation is abysmal, and realistically portraying a game character as trans is a fabulous endeavour, but because this would actually be a really genuinely spectacular thing! A whole new challenge, that simultaneously and subtly educates the user about the difficulties trans people face!

And you're open about it? Damn, you're one brave f***er. Transgender and intersex are treated 100,000,000x worse than gays here. I myself hope that'll change in the future.

My friend, you have earned my respect.

post-267484-0-07273200-1392939466.gif

There's a really clever gay joke in there, and none of you are going to get it.

It really is saddening how horrendously people treat Transgender individuals. Particularly Trans Women.

Trans Women who don't pass well are destined for a life of absolutely horrid teatment. Scorn, mockery, violence... and just for being themselves. It's horrific.

Lol. Yeah I knew it was a gay anthem. I just have known that for oh.. 15-20 years and didn't know if it still was and if now maybe it would be considered mocking or something. Ok, well I have a rather funny plan for the sound then. It took me many hours just to do the art for the flag so we'll see if I can actually implement it since I haven't done sound before either. Btw, would there be any licensing issue there that you know of? Just using the song straight up(no pun intended :grin:)?

Sorry to hear about the awful things when you were growing up. Sounds almost like we could have been neighbors. I'm not saying I went through the same things, but the way you describe it sounds like a lot of areas near me. Jocks, gangs, pregnant 14 yr olds. Even 25 years ago. Wait.. am I wrong or aren't you from Europe? I thought everything over there was delicious food and sexy accents? ;) Please don't ruin my vision of Europe as a combination of any older Bond movie and Eat/Pray/Love...

I think it's precisely because it's been around for so long that it's still a great anthem.

Everyone recognises it as a gay song.

Licensing is a bit of a tricky one. Since it is a copyright material, you can't use it for anything commercial without paying a licensing fee...

Fan-works like this... kind of fall in the grey area.

You're not making money from it, but you're also not the owner of the material. It's very unlikely that you will be asked to take it down... but the copyright holder is entitled to tell you to remove it, if they see fit.

(There's never any legal charges or anything - just an official message that you need to take it down.)

Well, my family is (predominantly) from England, but I've grown up in Australia.

I am not fond of the place.

Europe is better in many respects, but it has a lot of its own problems. Sweden, for example, has a terrible problem with rampant racism. (Though I'd rather live there than here.)

The order you'd most often encounter them would be "LGBTQIA."

Lesbian

Gay

Bisexual

Transgender

Queer (or sometimes "Questioning")

Intersex

Asexual

I must say, I've never before seen them arranged to "quiltbag" but I'm afraid now, I can never unsee it. xD

The order you'd most often encounter them would be "LGBTQIA."

Lesbian

Gay

Bisexual

Transgender

***** (or sometimes "Questioning")

Intersex

Asexual

I must say, I've never before seen them arranged to "quiltbag" but I'm afraid now, I can never unsee it. xD

I never understood why gay and lesbian were separate. I just say gay, my mum (who is also a lesbian - not that it has anything to do with me being gay) just says gay, and a lot of people I know just say gay, as well.

I never understood why gay and lesbian were separate. I just say gay, my mum (who is also a lesbian - not that it has anything to do with me being gay) just says gay, and a lot of people I know just say gay, as well.

Well, mainly, it's just to differentiate between male and female homosexuals, I think. Likely stemming from the early days of gay rights, when only men were thought to be gay. (And treated as perverted fetishists, for it.) By having their own label, gay women wouldn't be ignored and swept aside - they could argue a case for legitimacy of their sexuality. One of the interesting things about gay history, really - gay men were feared and shunned... while in many places, gay women were basically laughed at, and swept under the rug like they couldn't possibly exist.

Hell, majority of the time, if I mention it in conversation, I'll just say "gay" - if I'm talking to my mum about a girl I met, I'd say "and she's gay!" rather than "and she's a lesbian!"

Something about the word lesbian just feels... pretty? It has a nice flow.

A lot of people don't bother with it at all - I flit back and forth. I think lesbian may be a bit more of a "formal" term, now.

Well, mainly, it's just to differentiate between male and female homosexuals, I think. Likely stemming from the early days of gay rights, when only men were thought to be gay. (And treated as perverted fetishists, for it.) By having their own label, gay women wouldn't be ignored and swept aside - they could argue a case for legitimacy of their sexuality. One of the interesting things about gay history, really - gay men were feared and shunned... while in many places, gay women were basically laughed at, and swept under the rug like they couldn't possibly exist.

In Ancient Greece, homosexuality in males was the norm. It used to be a thing where young boys would be taken in by older men who would teach them, along with...y'know, while the parents pretended to search for them. If a boy wasn't taken, that would be a bad thing.

A couple of my best friends are Trans Guys! ^^

I must echo Mr Tiddles' statement - you're very brave to be open about it. My personal feelings on the matter are that someone shouldn't feel obligated or pressured to disclose such information - not because it's something shameful, but because it's nobody's ******* business!

A man is a man, and a woman is a woman - the circumstances of your birth are irrelevant to >99% of the population.

That sounds like a really interesting character, actually - I imagine without the T, you would experience dysphoria/sanity drain? Or perhaps you need to create two whole new stats!

A hormone meter, to manage the T, and a dysphoria meter that can be lowered by keeping the hormone meter up, equipping a binder, etc.

Setting all of that up would be a lot of work, I'm sure, but damn would it add a really interesting dynamic to the game! Trying to survive while also keeping the dysphoria in check...

I really want to see this happen, now! And not just because trans representation is abysmal, and realistically portraying a game character as trans is a fabulous endeavour, but because this would actually be a really genuinely spectacular thing! A whole new challenge, that simultaneously and subtly educates the user about the difficulties trans people face!

I'm really lucky in that I'm in a very liberal/accepting area and the people I'm close to have been for the most part overwhelmingly supportive. I figure I should use that to my advantage and help fight for awareness and visibility, since a lot of other trans* individuals simply can't without risking a compromise to their safety.

Also yeah, it WOULD be a ton of work, but it's a really fascinating idea -- i especially like the idea of a dysphoria meter, maybe replacing sanity, especially if it drained faster when the hormones meter was below certain levels (plus, let's be real, really bad dysphoria often feels the same amount of uncomfortable and disorienting as sanity effects in this game). The binder could be classed as armor, even, in addition to lowering dysphoria drain. Voice files could change depending on hormone levels, beard growth could be paused if they got below a certain level... I'd be great in that it wouldn't really change the core gameplay, it would just add a whole new thing to keep track of. Maybe one day when I'm a better modder I'll tackle this. It'd be even better to do it as a set of two, a woman and a man, since as pointed out above trans women face some SERIOUS issues specific to them and it'd be great to address those too.

The one thing that has me stumped is the hormones -- they'd need to be craftable or it wouldn't be a challenge at all, and assuming hormones must be taken on a schedule, the ingredients would have to be not TOO hard to get. Maybe the item is craftable and has a set number of doses, giving you time to get the ingredients for another? (Also what would the ingredients even be).

Well this is getting a bit long to quote everyone I would like to reply to, but I'm new to these forums and I have to say it's SO great to have such nice, helpful people in a discussion for once, as compared to my numerous attempts at a decent discussion on Steam especially. And this cause in particular has given me more incentive to actually follow through with a mod. I've been trying to learn some coding, graphic design, game development stuff for a while, and I usually work for a bit, get frustrated, and give up for longer than I should. The great community and great cause are a big help.

Dana - Australia, that explains it. I think I got that from hearing your accent in the Spriter tutorial and I always confuse Australian accents for English. And unfortunately, there are big problems with abuse and discrimination almost everywhere, though admittedly a lot worse in some places. I'm sorry that you, or anyone else, ever has to put up with it. The positive side is I think it's constantly getting better on the whole, even though having more media coverage than we did in the past makes it seem the opposite.

Anyway, it's great to meet all of you. Keep the great ideas coming. :)

In Ancient Greece, homosexuality in males was the norm. It used to be a thing where young boys would be taken in by older men who would teach them, along with...y'know, while the parents pretended to search for them. If a boy wasn't taken, that would be a bad thing.

Well, the whole Ancient Greece/Rome situation is kind of exaggerated by most. A friend of mine hopes to become the leading authority on queer history (and I support him 10,000% in this) and he once explained the basic situation to me.

Homosexual relationships weren't supported... like, they wouldn't allow two grown men to be together. It was just acceptable for grown men to... exert their dominance over those weaker.

Or something like that. I'm not the expert. |D

I'm really lucky in that I'm in a very liberal/accepting area and the people I'm close to have been for the most part overwhelmingly supportive. I figure I should use that to my advantage and help fight for awareness and visibility, since a lot of other trans* individuals simply can't without risking a compromise to their safety.

It's still very noble of you. =)

Also yeah, it WOULD be a ton of work, but it's a really fascinating idea -- i especially like the idea of a dysphoria meter, maybe replacing sanity, especially if it drained faster when the hormones meter was below certain levels (plus, let's be real, really bad dysphoria often feels the same amount of uncomfortable and disorienting as sanity effects in this game). The binder could be classed as armor, even, in addition to lowering dysphoria drain. Voice files could change depending on hormone levels, beard growth could be paused if they got below a certain level... I'd be great in that it wouldn't really change the core gameplay, it would just add a whole new thing to keep track of. Maybe one day when I'm a better modder I'll tackle this. It'd be even better to do it as a set of two, a woman and a man, since as pointed out above trans women face some SERIOUS issues specific to them and it'd be great to address those too.

I think rather than replacing the sanity meter entirely, it would affect the rate of sanity drain. (I mean, it doesn't really make sense for a monster to make the character feel more dysphoric... but strong dysphoria would make being around a monster more stressful.)

To me, it feels like it should be adding the extra challenge, without taking away anything else - after all, Trans individuals have to go through the same things everyone else does... they just have the added pressures and problems to deal with.

I'd definitely love to see a male and female version! Pretty clothes and makeup lowering dysphoria, and whatnot. They both sound like they'd be so great and interesting to play!

The one thing that has me stumped is the hormones -- they'd need to be craftable or it wouldn't be a challenge at all, and assuming hormones must be taken on a schedule, the ingredients would have to be not TOO hard to get. Maybe the item is craftable and has a set number of doses, giving you time to get the ingredients for another? (Also what would the ingredients even be).

Well, this is the world of Don't Starve... it's a little bit fantastical...

My thought is perhaps having to cultivate hormone trees. Grow them, maintain them, make sure they don't get destroyed by anything. (Fire hounds - eek!)

Harvest the plant for what you need to keep the hormone meter up!

(Maybe the tree you harvest the Testosterone-fruit from looks like a really buff, "manly" torso? That's just way too funny to me. x3 )

(The fruit should totally be the bulging biceps! Hahahaha.)

Please make this happen it is too fabulous!

Well this is getting a bit long to quote everyone I would like to reply to, but I'm new to these forums and I have to say it's SO great to have such nice, helpful people in a discussion for once, as compared to my numerous attempts at a decent discussion on Steam especially. And this cause in particular has given me more incentive to actually follow through with a mod. I've been trying to learn some coding, graphic design, game development stuff for a while, and I usually work for a bit, get frustrated, and give up for longer than I should. The great community and great cause are a big help.

Yeah... Steam isn't exactly the most helpful or... ... ...intelligent place.

Look at Steam as the children's playground, while this is the Café. =P

And unfortunately, there are big problems with abuse and discrimination almost everywhere, though admittedly a lot worse in some places. I'm sorry that you, or anyone else, ever has to put up with it. The positive side is I think it's constantly getting better on the whole, even though having more media coverage than we did in the past makes it seem the opposite.

Dana - Australia, that explains it. I think I got that from hearing your accent in the Spriter tutorial and I always confuse Australian accents for English.

Ahaha, actually, my accent is far more British than Australian. Though in the Spriter Tutorial, I was sick, and my voice sounded awful.

Well, the whole Ancient Greece/Rome situation is kind of exaggerated by most. A friend of mine hopes to become the leading authority on ***** history (and I support him 10,000% in this) and he once explained the basic situation to me.

Homosexual relationships weren't supported... like, they wouldn't allow two grown men to be together. It was just acceptable for grown men to... exert their dominance over those weaker.

Or something like that. I'm not the expert. |D

My mother's doing a university course on Ancient History. In her studies, there's stuff about the Ancient Greeks believing women were sex-hungry and couldn't feel love, while the love between two men was pure Seeing as I have some Greek in my family, I think I' allowed to say the Greek are  wacky bunch.

Dana, there was a "tinny" quality to your mic I think that was the main problem in that video(I think that's the word sound guys use?). But maybe being sick brought it out more. It really wasn't that bad though. And so much for me ever distinguishing accents I guess. :p You just threw me off yet again.

Misterinkwell - if you have the patience for all the work involved, it would definitely be a very cool idea. I like Dana's hormone tree idea for it.

If anyone finds out more info on the Ancient Greece thing, I'd be curious. I've always heard people say random tidbits about homosexuality back then, but it's always conflicting with the last thing I heard and I've always been curious what the real deal was.

Lastly, can anyone help me with my mod? I posted a help request on the tutorial page with more details about the problem and my mod files if anyone can offer any help. It would be greatly appreciated. :)

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/29427-tutorial-creating-a-handslot-equippable-item-from-scratch/page-3#entry417732

Crap.

qF3iT8e.png

Meet Winnie and Wexler, two brilliant scientists specializing in plant biology who also both happen to be trans*. They were working together on creating a plant that would produce fruit with hormones thus allowing other trans* individuals an easier and more fun way to take charge of their own transition, but hit a brick wall in their research. Which is where Maxwell stepped in to offer them all that Secret Knowledge hooey. He finished their research for them, but at what cost?

- Not sure about having the dysphoria meter be a flower, but since I'm choosing to have them be plant biologists and since the hormone trees are a thing it seemed kind of appropriate (plus it makes sense symbolically -- when you're feeling less dysphoria and the meter is full, you feel happier and more beautiful, and when your dysphoria is high and the meter is depleted you feel all gross and wilty).

- For the hormone trees I'm thinking they'd drop a fruit every day, and a single fruit is a day's dose (you probably start out with a few, and the seed for a tree). So the imperative thing would be to get a farm with more than one as quickly as possible in order to have a surplus to make adventuring away from your trees easier. Maybe they have a percent chance on any given day to drop the seed for another tree along with the day's fruit?

misterinkwell that is absolutely perfect!

post-267484-0-92614500-1393013569_thumb.

I love those designs they're so cute!!

(Though I believe there's an official-but-not-implemented character named Winnie, so she may need a different name? It's not a huge thing, but y'know.)

I would definitely say they should get a nice big sanity boost when planting one of their trees.

Perhaps rather than dropping seeds, you can plant the fruit itself - so you have to make a choice between using the fruit, or planting it.

And rather than the tree dropping a piece of fruit every day, you have to manually harvest it - so it will grow one piece per day, but if you don't go collect it, it won't have two pieces next time. Again, it makes the management something that has to be taken into account when playing - can't just stock up on fruit, go away for a while, then come back to a treasure trove of more fruit... you have actively to keep up with the task; make decisions about when to leave, when to come back, maybe set up some mini-camps with orchards, so you can keep exploring, and not have to go all the way back to your main camp...

Gosh, this sounds like such a neat challenge!

And I love the wilting flower for the dysphoria meter. I think that's absolutely perfect.

Bravo! I'm really excited to see this!!

Dana, there was a "tinny" quality to your mic I think that was the main problem in that video(I think that's the word sound guys use?). But maybe being sick brought it out more. It really wasn't that bad though. And so much for me ever distinguishing accents I guess. :razz: You just threw me off yet again.

Yeah, I recorded it with a really awful mic.

I have a (slightly) better one, now, so the next time I do a video tutorial, it should be a lot clearer. And I also won't do it while sick.

(I was all stuffy and raspy, and the cleanup filters to get rid of the awful background hissing and things really just made the whole thing sound like it was recorded by a robotic chipmunk who had a cold, and swallowed sandpaper...)

As for your mod, I've not created a custom handslot item from scratch, like that... but I think when I was having trouble with handslot stuff, the issue was that I had not correctly set the 'bank' in the prefab. So... check that.

misterinkwell that is absolutely perfect!

attachicon.gifcelebrating.gif

I love those designs they're so cute!!

(Though I believe there's an official-but-not-implemented character named Winnie, so she may need a different name? It's not a huge thing, but y'know.

Oh, really? Didn't know that. Though I usually use shorter build names, so it MAY not be an issue (or I could spell it differently, like Wynnie)

I would definitely say they should get a nice big sanity boost when planting one of their trees.

Perhaps rather than dropping seeds, you can plant the fruit itself - so you have to make a choice between using the fruit, or planting it.

And rather than the tree dropping a piece of fruit every day, you have to manually harvest it - so it will grow one piece per day, but if you don't go collect it, it won't have two pieces next time. Again, it makes the management something that has to be taken into account when playing - can't just stock up on fruit, go away for a while, then come back to a treasure trove of more fruit... you have actively to keep up with the task; make decisions about when to leave, when to come back, maybe set up some mini-camps with orchards, so you can keep exploring, and not have to go all the way back to your main camp...

Gosh, this sounds like such a neat challenge!

And I love the wilting flower for the dysphoria meter. I think that's absolutely perfect.

Bravo! I'm really excited to see this!!

I definitely like the idea of the trees needing to be manually harvested, that would add a good element of challenge to the mod. The character will definitely need to eat the fruit daily or risk massive hormone drain (hence starting out with one or two -- maybe two in order to plant a tree and then another for the first day's dose, since the fruit doubling as seeds sounds good to me).

Mostly my worry with this mod is I have no idea how I'd go about coding most of it. The art will be no problem, but I'm not really great shakes at coding and I've never done anything beyond character art, some stat changes/stat change with sanity level, voice file modding, and a custom item.

BTKKYXI.png

also check it out, they have color now! and sliiiiightly updated designs.

Archived