Mary's Field Notes and Observational Drawings.

I found my old journal from many, many decades back. Here - you can take it.

I don't want it anymore.

- Mary

Day 1 - Entry 1

W W W W W W W M M? W M W M W M

M

W

Does anyone else notice this?

Day 1 - Entry 2

For future reference, my name is Mary. Me and my sister, Whitney, have been cast upon this isle for no particular reason. I shall attempt to document my findings in a scientific and organized manner. To start with, the isle looks very dilapidated - as if it has been around for a very, very long time. It's quite gloomy and the weather is at a constant, mild temperature with a light grey sky. Funnily enough, the trees here are all coniferous - the common pine tree. A few unrecognizable wildflowers dot the landscape along with small burrows at regular intervals.

Whitney has begun to gather long tufts of dry grass and twigs for some form of fire. Presumably, it'll become darker and colder as the night slowly approaches us and we shall take no chances whatsoever. I, however, have noticed that these burrows contain small animals - they look slightly like rabbits. However, I must put down my journal and get to work - I believe I have discovered some flint rocks, which can be used to make some sort of primitive axe for chopping down a pine tree.

I am sure we can survive at least a day without food, but - and I do believe Whitney will attest to my hypothesis - there's something about the night-time that I simply cannot shake. This feeling of danger and fear, ingrained into the isle, as if the entire landscape was holding it's breath for the sun to dip below the horizon.

It's not entirely scientific of me to state such, but I promised an accurate recording of events and for some reason, the evening strikes me as a very important time of day here.

Day 1 - Entry 3 - Night

Whitney can't sleep. She keeps staring at the ground, shaking. I took off my waistcoat and lay it over her, promising that I would stay up late to look after her. At least it gives me some time to write in my journal, by the firelight of our little campfire.

I can agree with her feeling of unease, but it's utter folly - there aren't things watching us in the dark else we would have heard them by now. Maybe a few native insects, nothing more. I look forward to documenting you all, insects! Perhaps when my basic survival needs are filled and I actually have any spare time.

The nights here seem to be unnaturally dark. Without the little campfire we have created me and Whitney would be plunged into complete and utter darkness. And, while I am reluctant to admit it, the idea of being in the dark does put me on edge slightly.

I did also promise some Observational studies. Perhaps tomorrow morning I can document some specimens.

Edited by Mary's Shadow