I pretty much never use fire pits or night lights or anything that can be acted upon by night hands anymore. The 75% sanity level is so ridiculously high it means maintenance on these light sources is very high. Either you're constantly making sure your sanity is topped off or you're burning extra boards or nightmare fuel, just for basic light. Unless it's winter and I don't have a furnace yet, I easily circumvent these problems by using lanterns, miner hats, magiluminescences, moggles, or a star callers staff.

I'm sorry but light bulbs should not be a less tedious and expensive light fuel source than nightmare fuel. Night Lights should probably be exempt entirely given they take nightmare fuel, exude a negative sanity aura, and don't provide warmth.

For fire pits surely it would be reasonable to change it to something like 40% or 30%? Why would I ever choose to burn wood, except during winter, for a stationary light source that will almost certainly be messed with by night hands if I lose like 15 sanity when I can just put a lantern down and not worry about it.

I really don't think this will reduce challenge at all because it is easily circumvented, trees can be burned, lanterns can be crafted within a few days, and would merely make these light sources somewhat viable to use again, at least until you get Glowcaps. Nevermind how beneficial and necessary it is to to be insane constantly to gather nightmare fuel to pay for early game Shadow Manipulator, amulet upkeep, dark swords, staffs, thulecite gear, etc. It makes using a fire pit or night light basically pointless.

I am aware of methods of dealing with the hands. My point is it's a distraction you must deal with for those light sources, whereas I can set a lantern down or put a miner hat on, do my work in base, and not worry about the light being snuffed out or having to go refuel it mid-task, simply because my sanity isn't at 100%. I'd like to use fire pits or night lights until I get access to Glowcaps for my base area, rather than using the plethora of other mobile light sources that are hassle free.