Need help with supposed cross play functionality

I play Don’t starve on both PC and Xbox. I have friends who play on either platform. One of my friends who owns don’t starve on both platforms recently had their Xbox break, so now they can only play on PC. I’d like to play with both that friend, and another friend who only plays the game on Xbox. I know Klei doesn’t have any kind of cross play in place, but I still wanted to know if it was possible to play together across PC and Xbox. I looked it up and found this article:

https://www.bisecthosting.com/blog/dont-starve-together-crossplay-xbox-pc-playstation-switch#:~:text=Note that this survival game,system environment can meet online.

It says cross play is possible through the Microsoft store version of the game through Xbox and PC, and links to a Reddit post with people in the comments saying they have done this and it works. My friend tried downloading the game on the Xbox app, but couldn’t even start downloading because of a stated error. I tried it myself to see if I could troubleshoot the issue my friend was encountering, but couldn’t even find the game on xbox app despite also owning it. It may be because I am on windows 11 and my friend is on windows 10. Does anyone know how to get this method to work, or if the method is even real?

C54E37E3-1A4F-433B-9871-1A88A3C59FAE.jpeg