Walter skill idea: Grass Ghillie Suit for stealth slingshot action!

Originally posted this idea on Catuna's pretty great Walter skill tree post https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/155528-walter-skill-tree-concept/ but I wanted to expand the ghille suit idea on its own post as i been thinking about how much i want it added.

Requires 1 skill point. 

Recipe: 1x grass suit,  5x pond plant, 3x silk 

Always bugged me that the wee plants around frog ponds are burnable but not pickable so making them pickable and giving them a niche use would be kinda cool, making it a unique and fitting resource for Walter's ghillie suit.

Stats: 60% defence, 675 durability, body slot item. Lasts 1 days while hiding.

Ghillie has grass suit defences which is bad but still alot better than no armour at all and high durability allows it to take a hit without breaking even if percentage durability gets low due to hiding mechanic but overall its designed for stealth as i'll explain below.

Function: 

• Right-clicking on the ghillie suit allows Walter to "hide" on the ground as a somewhat dubious plant, draining durabilty while hiding for a total of 1 day of hiding time. (Total hiding time is subject to balance)
  • This is the same mechanic as hiding with the bush hat however unlike the bush hat when Walter hides with the ghillie suit, woby will begin to bark and run around frantically drawing all aggressive mob aggro in a similar fashion to big bernie. (Lore reason for this could be Walter is doing a kinda terrible job hiding and woby is freaking out trying to protect him from his dumbness haha)
  • Mobs will begin to chase Woby but wont attack her. Walter is untargetable because of this. If 5 or more regular mobs (or a single boss) are chasing Woby, Walter gets a -10 sanity drain (-20 for boss) by watching woby freak out so much. Shadows creatures will attack Walter as per normal and are immune to Woby aggro.

The fun idea i have about the ghillie suit is Walter will also gain the ability to attack with his slingshot without breaking hiding. Allowing Walter to kill whatever is chasing woby without himself ever getting targetted making him pretty much invincible. This is balanced by the 1 day hiding time before the ghille suit breaks, by the slowness of using slingshot for combat and time required to amass slingshot ammo.

Bosses however have a low 2% chance per slingshot round to discover and target Walter with a 5 sec cooldown before Woby can draw aggro away again. Requiring you to run away and rehide.

I feel the ghillie suit would give the slingshot alot more functionality in both regular combat against horde of spiders for example and against bosses as currently the slingshot has no AoE rounds for hordes of mobs.

Walter is a character with a massive combat downside so its not an op craft for him to have.

Please give your own suggestions about the ghillie suit and any other Walter skill tree ideas, cheers!

Edited by Gashzer
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Gashzer said:

Lore reason for this could be Walter is doing a kinda terrible job hiding and woby is freaking out trying to protect him from his dumbness haha

Or he could be doing such a good job that Woby can't find him and calls for him

Edited by Pet Rock
  • Haha 1