Spider Dens Adapting to their Environment

Imagine if spider eggs could adapt to the unique characteristics of different environments. For instance, when planted in the lunar biome, they would transform into shattered spider holes, perfectly suited to the lunar landscape. Similarly, if planted in a cave biome, they could evolve into spilagmites, seamlessly blending into the cave environment.

This suggestion opens up exciting possibilities for immersion and gameplay diversity. By allowing spider dens to adapt, players would experience a more dynamic and engaging world, where the environment influences the creatures that inhabit it. It adds depth to gameplay, encouraging exploration and strategic thinking as players consider where to plant their spider eggs for optimal results.

By incorporating this feature, we not only enhance the realism and complexity of the game but also provide players with more opportunities for creativity and experimentation. It's an idea that not only enriches the gameplay experience but also aligns with the theme of adaptation and survival that defines Don't Starve Together.

• Like 1

I like this idea but there is one major problem shattered spider holes can’t regenerate spiders and one minor problem for all the other den types being where will the spider queen go which could easily be explained by queens of those species stay in the the den

Posted (edited)

They could consider adopting a concept similar to plants, where if planted in the right soil, they yield fruit. However, if not in the ideal environment, they may yield mutated fruit or none at all. Whether developers decide to rework dens and their respawn rate is entirely up to them.

Edited by Hanashi

I'd rather have separate spider eggs for each type of spider den to be honest. This would allow players to move these dens to places where they couldn't normally be and make more use of them.

I do like the idea of spiders being affected by the environment, but I think it should be taken the other direction. Spiders should have a harder time living outside of their normal environment, as they aren't adapted.This could be implemented by, for example, making normal spiders weak and disoriented when in the dark to long (caves). Cave spiders would also be aggressive towards normal ones.

Incorporated with the idea of additional spider eggs, this idea would allow players fo move spiders while still incentivizing putting spiders in their natural habitat to avoid competition from wiping them out.

This same concept even be added to other creatures. Pigs could complain about being to far away from their king, while bunnymen grow weak in bright areas. Some may see this as limiting their possibilities, but I see it as widening the players existence in and interaction with the ecosystem.

20 hours ago, Pet Rock said:

I'd rather have separate spider eggs for each type of spider den to be honest. This would allow players to move these dens to places where they couldn't normally be and make more use of them.

I do like the idea of spiders being affected by the environment, but I think it should be taken the other direction. Spiders should have a harder time living outside of their normal environment, as they aren't adapted.This could be implemented by, for example, making normal spiders weak and disoriented when in the dark to long (caves). Cave spiders would also be aggressive towards normal ones.

Incorporated with the idea of additional spider eggs, this idea would allow players fo move spiders while still incentivizing putting spiders in their natural habitat to avoid competition from wiping them out.

This same concept even be added to other creatures. Pigs could complain about being to far away from their king, while bunnymen grow weak in bright areas. Some may see this as limiting their possibilities, but I see it as widening the players existence in and interaction with the ecosystem.

Creatures in this world evolve at a terrifying rate.

Maxwell

• Like 1

On 4/10/2024 at 9:01 AM, Pet Rock said:

"Your idea no longer aligns with the word 'adapt,' but rather with 'nerf'—every creature evolves according to its environment."

7 minutes ago, Hanashi said:

"Your idea no longer aligns with the word 'adapt,' but rather with 'nerf'—every creature evolves according to its environment."

I don't mind the idea, I just imagine it might be confusing for players to suddenly have their spider nests be replaced by different ones.

I proposed my idea to allow players to move different spider nests more intuitively, while still providing incentive to travel to different biomes and keeping the strategic placement element in the game. This idea would also add a bit more progression to creating spider nests, as you would have to conquer each type of spider nest (or perhaps even fulfill a special set of conditions) to obtain the eggs.

10 minutes ago, Pet Rock said:

I don't mind the idea, I just imagine it might be confusing for players to suddenly have their spider nests be replaced by different ones.

I proposed my idea to allow players to move different spider nests more intuitively, while still providing incentive to travel to different biomes and keeping the strategic placement element in the game. This idea would also add a bit more progression to creating spider nests, as you would have to conquer each type of spider nest (or perhaps even fulfill a special set of conditions) to obtain the eggs.

I didn't suggest that adapting would occur instantly; it would undoubtedly take time. Initially, the spider would struggle, with its spawn rate decreasing as the spider den gradually transforms. This transformation might take around one cycle or whatever duration the developers prefer. Afterward, the spawn rate would return to normal, accompanied by visible changes in the spiders themselves. Perhaps their appearance could reflect their adaptation to the altered environment—perhaps darker coloration for camouflage or modified appendages for improved mobility. This not only adds depth to the game but also enhances immersion by reflecting real-world evolutionary processes.

• Like 1