I need some help! Dedicated server won't start for me to test my character mod!

This is my first time modding a character in DST, or modding anything for that matter. I want to make a mod based off of a YouTuber and streamer I like. I've been following a tutorial very closely, learning a little about the code and what to do, and I believe I was doing everything correctly, but when I go to test out the character in the game, the server won't start! I've tried disabling my other mods I've subscribed to from the workshop, but that didn't seem to work either. I've also tried disabling caves, thinking maybe I could get it to work without it, but it outright crashes the game! 

Could someone explain to me what I'm doing wrong here? Is there something I need to add or fix? I'll attach the character lua, modmain/modinfo, the client log, and the master server log, just in case. If someone could help me out, or even give me a nudge in the right direction, that'd be awesome! Just please be aware, I'm not knowledgable when it comes to code, so you might have to break it down for me!

jschlatt.lua modmain.lua modinfo.lua client_log.txt master_server_log.txt

Edited by RaynbowistLaney
Made a minor misspelling!

2 hours ago, Terry_Rosario said:

says there is a problem in speech_jschlatt' from file speech_jschlatt.lua

Ah, I see! Any idea on how to fix it? I just looked through where the problem could be, but it looks normal to me? Or maybe I'm just missing something?

If I had to guess, you have likely accidentally removed a comma or bracket somewhere while editing the text; it happens all of the time. You can either look around to try and find it yourself or upload the strings file here.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 11:54 AM, Chesed said:

If I had to guess, you have likely accidentally removed a comma or bracket somewhere while editing the text; it happens all of the time. You can either look around to try and find it yourself or upload the strings file here.

I'll upload the speech file then, since that seems to be where the problem is, but again, I can't seem to what's wrong, even after going where the client log told me to. It doesn't seem like I removed a comma or bracket, but then again, maybe I missed it-

speech_jschlatt.lua

12 hours ago, RaynbowistLaney said:

I'll upload the speech file then, since that seems to be where the problem is, but again, I can't seem to what's wrong, even after going where the client log told me to. It doesn't seem like I removed a comma or bracket, but then again, maybe I missed it-

speech_jschlatt.lua 118.45 kB · 0 downloads

On line 1298:

CRITTER_DRAGONLING = "Ok, I guess you're pretty cool looking."

On line 1718:

GENERIC = "God, that smells awful."

Both of these lines need a comma at the end.

Those seem to be the only problems with the speech file - it doesn't crash any more for me. Hope this helps!

6 hours ago, Chesed said:

On line 1298:

On line 1718:

Both of these lines need a comma at the end.

Those seem to be the only problems with the speech file - it doesn't crash any more for me. Hope this helps!

I was able to fix them! Tried testing it out again, but I still can't seem to start a dedicated server with my mod! I'm not sure if there's something else in the way in another file, but here's the client and server logs, in case they help. I tried looking through them again, but I'm still not sure what else is in the way.

client_log.txt master_server_log.txt

34 minutes ago, RaynbowistLaney said:

I was able to fix them! Tried testing it out again, but I still can't seem to start a dedicated server with my mod! I'm not sure if there's something else in the way in another file, but here's the client and server logs, in case they help. I tried looking through them again, but I'm still not sure what else is in the way.

client_log.txt 17.57 kB · 0 downloads master_server_log.txt 56.82 kB · 0 downloads

In your master server log:

:623: Could not find an asset matching bigportraits/jschlatt.tex in any of the search paths.

It looks like it's having problems finding your bigportrait. I'd double-check if things have compiled properly with the correct names.

On 3/17/2024 at 4:01 PM, Chesed said:

In your master server log:

It looks like it's having problems finding your bigportrait. I'd double-check if things have compiled properly with the correct names.

Ah, thank you! It also looks like I had a file named wrong as well, which also was what caused the error. It seems to be working now! Thank you so much for your help! 

• Health 1