Modifying Equipment: Durability

My character has a perk that allows her to apply items to equipment to give them additional perks, while also adding tags to their names. Some items can't be applied if equipment has a specific tag, while others can only be applied if equipment has a specific tag. For example, applying marble to an axe makes it a Durable Axe, increasing its durability, but marble can't be applied to the axe again. 

Durability Modifiers: Can only be applied to equipment that has a number of uses/an amount of hp

Durable: Applying marble increases the amount of uses/hp by ×2

1) Cannot be applied to Durable equipment 

Ancient: Applying thulecite increases the amount of uses/hp by ×5

1) Cannot be applied to Ancient equipment 

2) Overwrites Durable equipment 

Dreadful: Applying dreadstone increases the amount of uses/hp by ×10, but adds a sanity drain of -5/min

1) Cannot be applied to Dreadful equipment 

2) Cannot be applied to lunar equipment 

3) Doubles the initial sanity drain of shadow equipment instead

4) Overwrites Ancient equipment 

How would I go about adding this? I'm a complete beginner in terms of programming, but my character already has files where I could try typing new code in, so keep that in mind.

Alternatively, this could be a mod of its own, allowing any character to do the same thing, but that likely involves starting from scratch and I don't know how to do that. 

Reminds me of the Tinkers' Construct mod for Minecraft, I like it. To do something like this you'd want to write a component and several actions, although thats not a very beginner friendly thing to do and may go beyond the scope of a single character if I'm interpreting what you want correctly.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, _zwb said:

Are these buffs or permanent? Would you apply these buffs the same way you would repair your clothes with sewing kits? Or is it done via another input method?

1) The buffs would be permanent, there is a limit to the amount of buffs an item can have at a time, like three or four.

2) You would apply the materials to the equipment, similar to a sewing kit yes, but they would be consumed in the process, so there is a resource cost.

3) I did have an initial concept in mind: a station similar to the potter's wheel, where you place the item you want to modify on it, then you interact with the station to open a crafting menu where you spend materials to apply the buffs, or alternatively remove all buffs from an item; however, this concept is a little more ambitious, both in terms of programming and art required, so I went with something that didn't involve any of that for now.

On 2/21/2024 at 3:28 AM, Wonderlarr said:

Reminds me of the Tinkers' Construct mod for Minecraft, I like it. To do something like this you'd want to write a component and several actions, although thats not a very beginner friendly thing to do and may go beyond the scope of a single character if I'm interpreting what you want correctly.

An alternative method I could go for is having the materials be in the character's inventory instead to activate the buffs for whatever equipment they are currently holding or wearing.

For example, having marble in the inventory makes certain equipment last twice as long, but carrying more marble doesn't make the effect stack. If thulecite is also in the inventory, then that is prioritized over the marble, so certain equipment last five times longer instead. 

I just wanted to make it so the perk didn't involve using up inventory slots, but inventory management might be a fair downside for this perk if not costing resources. 

21 hours ago, Reecitz said:

1) The buffs would be permanent, there is a limit to the amount of buffs an item can have at a time, like three or four.

2) You would apply the materials to the equipment, similar to a sewing kit yes, but they would be consumed in the process, so there is a resource cost.

Here's how I would implement this, you would have to add the buffable functionality to the equipment you want though. Also the way buffs are defined could be improved, but I can't be bothered. I don't know how should the items should be consumed, you might want to change that too.

buffs.zip

Edited by _zwb