Cave Rework Idea

Feel Free to comment your ideas or even use this one!

New Biomes: A idea is a glacier biome that is really cold BUT in summer it's melting and therefore always raining. A nightmare biome that is full of fissures and nightmare spawn naturally. This biome could get the ruins filter. Another, though it  already exists but a Magma or Volcano biome that really hot, even in winter. Lastly a fake ruins biome just to confuse and distract people. This fake ruin will just have lichen, no fissures or "Cave Holes" also know as the things that hold loot that require a lazy forager to get.

Old Biome changes: The muddy biome could slowly raise you wetness to 20-30 unless you have body rain protection. And there would be hanging roots that slowly grow down and around to block your path.  Stalagmites will very slowly grow and appear in the biome they belong in

Generation: instead of a tree ish shape, the caves could be more like surface (or mime city's caves) or a triangle with hazardous biomes connecting parts of it. And lastly the cave entrance could be related to where they are on the surface.

Water: There could be waterfalls that lead to rivers that lead to lakes and then rivers till it hits the void. If u end up in the void u could be brought to the underground portal. 

Ruins: These could be accessed via a cave wormhole in one of the hazardous biomes. Archive and Atrium stay the same. (Trontar's Idea) Ruins could have levels and u need the ancient key or an upgraded version in order to get there.

Bosses or Challenging Enemies: Could appear alongside cave worms or attack during nightmare phase.

Void Walking:  If u end up in the void u could be brought to the underground portal. You'll lose a small amount of your stuff. This stuff will be scattered between the ruins (not atrium or archive) and the extreme hazardous biomes (Volcano, Glacier, Nightmare, ect)

Final Thoughts: I do know there are people out there with worlds of ages 5k and up, so maybe add a one time use "Cave Regen" button that regens the caves but only on world that have already existed. If ur in caves during Regen u spawn at underground portal

All honesty, these are good ideas, but the generation part, I have to object, because DST was all about surprise and survival, ( like the hound waves and random annoying events). Also Klei adding to many bosses can clog ‘artificial levels’ of armor and items. (It is already happening to the end game). It’s just a matter though, so don’t be alarmed. I can agree they should add a boss at which you must fight frequently as a surprise to keep players on alert and always looking out. Also with the void walking; you can still glitch into the void by accident if hitboxes/entities are present shunt you out of bounds, which is why we have the rescue me option. Cave regeneration would be interesting, but this could cause huge change to the world, and if you already have lots of items and entities like walls and mobs in the caves, I’m pretty sure deleting all of this can make it very buggy with the next generation of cave. It would be interesting and game changing, but would be one of the most buggy features, which I hope they add soon, because just regenerating worlds repeatedly in short time spans can even make your world glitched, (AKA a world without certain required set piece, like glommer, or no islands in the ocean, so I suppose the atrium or required biome could be missing or misplaced in such situation.) In many of my ruins rushes though, I have encountered the ancient guardian without having to go through the maze. twice! It just might be a glitch with my save file or console though. Again, it’s all dependent on what klei pushes out for content, and in game ~ QoL and RNG, which can decide everything in the game, to generation to mob drops to random events.

On 2/3/2024 at 12:26 AM, Trontar said:

In many of my ruins rushes though, I have encountered the ancient guardian without having to go through the maze. twice!

This isn't just you, I have had this happen to me too, all my new worlds have this.

It would be interesting and game changing, but would be one of the most buggy features, which I hope they add soon, because just regenerating worlds repeatedly in short time spans can even make your world glitched, (AKA a world without certain required set piece, like glommer, or no islands in the ocean, so I suppose the atrium or required biome could be missing or misplaced in such situation.

It seems this is already an issue, that would be something Klei should fix ASAP. Another option is a cave Regen button that appears if something messes up. Maybe a Surface Regen that appears for the same reason?

Also with the void walking; you can still glitch into the void by accident if hitboxes/entities are present shunt you out of bounds, which is why we have the rescue me option.

I could change idea from losing some stuff to just going to underground portal with all your stuff.

because DST was all about surprise and survival, ( like the hound waves and random annoying events).

The quote directly above and below are used for the same response which is below, where is says here

I can agree they should add a boss at which you must fight frequently as a surprise to keep players on alert and always looking out.

Here, as I said above, Boss could be related to cave work attacks

Archived