Is there a reason a Don't Starve Together Proximity Voice Chat hasn't been made yet?

I'm genuinely curious here. From what I've heard, the process of creating in-game voice chat is basically "set your mic as an input, set that input as an in-game sound effect." At least in my very, very limited coding experience, that seems easy enough? It seems like a natural next step for a multiplayer video game to make a voice chat mod. And yes, I can and do just use Discord when playing multiplayer, but, well that's not exactly the same, is it? In Discord, unless a player mutes, you can always hear them. But on an in-game proximity voice chat, you'd need to stick together. If you hear them freak out from far away, there's a chance you won't know what's wrong unless they run to you basically screaming "HEY HELP ME," which, at least to me, adds some texture to it! Maybe in caves it could be more echoey, which would add atmosphere to it.

I could be wrong here, I don't know how difficult this would be. But I'm genuinely shocked there hasn't been a proximity voice chat mod yet. Why is that? Experienced modders, could you help explain this to me?

The main issue in DS and DST is the game uses compressed sounds from FMOD, there isn't an easy way to stream a sound in from an external source, and that would definitely put a lot of network load on the server. Now, on that note, it's definitely still possible, it will just be very difficult. I might do some research if I find myself bored once the Pirate Software Game Jam is over.