Dupes should idle in recreation room

I really dislike the current idle behavior of dupes, especially in bases with more than 1 atmosuit dock. The issue is much worse in the DLC, as players are far more likely to have multiple atmosuit docks. I’ve even had dupes suffocate because they idled between an atmosuit checkpoint and a leadsuit checkpoint, despite there being atmosuits available.

There are workarounds, but they are not ideal. While there are mods that allow dupes to idle in suits, this leads to a lot of durability loss. Low-priority manual generators can be used to prevent idling entirely, but you effectively lose the ability to track idleness via the diagnostics pane.

I would absolutely love it if dupes would just go to a rec room when idle. Would solve the problem completely.

Recreation room already has it's purpose. I'd rather like a new room added to the game. It could either be a room requiring some kind of a sign and at least one suit/mask checkpoint and forbidding dupes from staying idle in there, even forcing them to put on a suit and find another dock or some kind of a hallway room where dupes wait for new errands and can maybe have a drink while being idle.

27 minutes ago, cyberwarlord said:

Never had such an issue. When they idle its always near the printing pod or in the rec room.

Well good for you, but those of us that have areas that dupes pass in atmo suits and then take them off to put on lead suits have them idle between the checkpoints.

image.png.84df1333febad9db7af5521ac45d82df.png

Normally if there would be no oxygen in this area or the temperature would become scalding they would move to a safe area where they can breathe and temperature is comfortable, but when there's a checkpoint with fully loaded and ready suits in the way to a safe zone they would just sit there and die.

19 minutes ago, Knurek said:

Well good for you, but those of us that have areas that dupes pass in atmo suits and then take them off to put on lead suits have them idle between the checkpoints.

Normally if there would be no oxygen in this area or the temperature would become scalding they would move to a safe area where they can breathe and temperature is comfortable, but when there's a checkpoint with fully loaded and ready suits in the way to a safe zone they would just sit there and die.

I see, after 1k hours I've just never built like that. Or maybe that was why..

Always a work around, but I'd have to agree with 

15 hours ago, Charletrom said:

I would absolutely love it if dupes would just go to a rec room when idle. Would solve the problem completely.

But a "break room" would also be great, small rooms where dupes can idle and maybe destress and grab a coffee.

Be great to see the food recreation buildings get a buff, much faster use speeds. 15min coffee break should not take a whole time slot.

I do believe they already go to the recreational room but I could be wrong.

May just need a pathing fix. 

1 hour ago, Knurek said:

This is the biggest issue for me. It seems like a massive design oversight and makes lead suits very difficult to use.

In my mind the simplest solutions are more likely to be implemented. That’s why I’m advocating for a more focused change. I’m no expert in the game code but I’d reckon that adjusting a single errand is easier than implementing a new room.

Archived