Expansion on Mermification (au)

Hello, forum people! I'm new to the forums (though I've been in the fandom for a little over a year now) and I was curious to see the general consensus around fan aus. I've created an au based around Mermification, and I'm hopeful people will find it interesting.

It started off with a mermified version of Wilson, but gradually I shifted focus to Maxwell, and now I'm left with Mermwell. Designing mermified survivors is pretty fun, but coming up with the ways it affects them is even more enjoyable. (e.g. they start feeling drawn to the swamp biomes, or they suddenly have an infatuation for bodies of water.)

As for the details of how exactly they've been transformed... I imagine Maxwell insulted the Gnaw while he was letting his mouth run, or he horribly ruined a recipe, causing the Gnaw to get angry and punish him by afflicting him with whatever plague turned the goats in the gorge into merms. But the catch is, he hasn't fully succumb to the transformation due to the shadow magic that had already corrupted him overpowering the infection (or at least keeping it at bay). Now he's stuck in a limbo of confusion and pain as he feels his humanity slip away from him by the day.

I ultimately decided Mermwell would be a better centrepiece for the au, because Wilson doesn't really have a good reason to be stuck in-between merm and human. Lucky Wilson gets to stay a human!

Below, you can find the reference sheet I made for Mermwell! I've posted art of this au on the Don't Starve subreddit in the past, so you may've seen it before.

mermwell_ref.png.ae2b8bb25f432dae004574195c64533b.png

That's all I have for now. I'm happy to answer any (serious) questions about this! (and I apologize in advance for any formatting issues... I already know I probably messed something up lol)

Alright, goodbye! :D

• Like 2