Early Suggestions: Character Customization

I want to preface this post by saying that I know this is currently play-testing phase and we haven't even entered early access/beta yet. I'm sure there is a lot of planned, unreleased and not-yet-implimented content that is internally waiting to be added to the game in future updates, or is being worked on. It's likely this post will age like milk, and that's perfectly ok! But this is more for adding considerations that may not have been made by the Devs, ideas and generally relaying the experience of this aspect of the game based on my experiences both in-game and with other games. Additionally, I know that at the end of the day this is a combat-based dungeon crawler; not a dress-up game. At its core, character customization will take back-seat to gameplay, and that's how it should be. Still, I feel this is something that I want to address.

Base Customization:

The current options for customization in the game is quite impressive. With three species, and each one having a suite of head, facial, accessory, skin and body options, there's quite a few ways one can create a character they like. With more on the way (some being locked/unavailable during the play test, indicating they are ready, just not available, but clearly are visible in the options), I'm sure many, many more will be available. With that being said, there's a few options that don't seem to have any base availability (atm) that might be worthy of consideration.

Hair, specifically, the lack there-of. I've played (mostly) as mammimal, that's my main experience, so I'll use them for this example. It  makes sense that the cheek, head and markings count for the "hair" options, but I think it falls short with a lack of ponytail/bangs options for them. Sure, it logically follows that because they dont have "hair" in a more traditional sense. However, the merfolk species has "fins-like" hair options for the same slots (ponytail/bangs). These additional options considerably change the look, feel and "attitude" a character exudes. Mammimals should have a ponytail/bangs options added to them in the same vein as the other two races, i.e. with their specific species flavor to it. Other species have similar "missing" or empty choices in certain tabs. The species ultimately doesn't matter here; the point is, it never feels good to have a space that basically is there to say "this exists, but you can't use it". And sure, no one is forced to play a species that lacks a feature they want; a simple fix is, play another species! But why shouldn't all species having their own version of each thing? Let's not let the "logic" of why stop us from having more choice, yes? Yes, yes!

More customization is always better! Adding those extra little details just feels right, in my opinion. No one wants to see their favorite species neutered/homogynized to be a carbon copy of the other species, or to lose their flavor, I feel its worthwhile to have different versions of those options available. While this is no MMORPG, custimaztion is something players enjoy. Having option boxes that are basically "this don't exist for your species, but we included it anyway" is not a good feeling. However, at the end of the day, how Klei invisioned the species-specific options is how they will impliment it.

Armor Customization and Camouflage

Again, I know this is a playtest; obviously there will be a great deal added later. And with an ever-growing catelogue of armors and weapons, there is an ever-growing opportunity for cosmetics and cosmetic applications!

Armor Camouflaging - the act of overriding the look of one armor for another, or hiding it alltogether - could be fun! Think "social slots" from terraria or transmogrification from WoW, or glamours from FFXIV. Or, more close to home, the lovely skins we get in Don't Starve Together! Part of character expression isn't just what they look like; its what they wear. I particularly like spears, and am partial to the benefits offered by the Bulbin sets. However, I would love to roll around in the Rillo armor for the look.  Using the base spear over the pumpkin carver for looks would be a preference. Swapping the looks of one set while keeping the functionality of another is a defining feature of "form and function". Of course, bought cosmetics might be something already planned for the future. A lot of players might appreciate having a "set-in-stone" or "default" look they maintain while changing their actual stats and armors. Again, more customization options are always better!

I do realize that perhaps looking at other players' armors at a glance could give you an idea of their playstyle, but ultimately it very likely won't really affect how others play the game too much; most poeple who love playing with hammers won't stop playing with hammers and heavy armor just because another player is in dodge-heavy armor with, say, a bow. However, having the ability to have an armor you favor as your "main look", while playing how you want otherwise is the main take-away from this. Being a roughneck in the default tunic and pants the entire game, if it fits your "hobo hunter" aesthetic, then - hey, why not?

Hide Armor Pieces

Pretty self explanitory. Hide a piece of armor (mostly concerned with headpieces)! Of all the suggestions, toggle-able armor pieces is just a thing that would be a nice feature. While it isn't realstic for someone to be running into battle with nothing on their head or barechested (for those "Rambo" type players!), it's also a lot of fantasy to the game. If wearing a headband with a bulbin plushy on my head is considered "viable armor" I don't think wearing "nothing" with a hidden helm is too immersion breaking. But as with everything else here, its mostly a suggestion of fun and option over what is more logically sensible.... in a video game. 

TL:DR; There should not be a single empty character customization option in game. Every species should have its own version of an option; if one species has it, all of them should, but in unique ways that fit the species flavor (please disregard my obvious mammimal hair bias for ponytails and bangs). Cosmetic slots exist to allow one armor to over-ride the look of another, effectively seperating armor assets into "looks" and "effective armor" and its stats. Armor pieces should be toggle-able, allowing them to be totally invisible.

I have a lot of respect for Klei, they've proven their competency and willingness to listen to player feedback consistently over the years. Whatever they decide to do, I'm sure they'll do what's best for them while trying to accomodate players. These are nothing more than suggestions I feel would greatly enhance the non-combat gameplay. Devs sometimes overlook how important looks are to players in a game that's mostly about the combat; if most players don't care about this issue, then at least I've spoken my piece, and put it forth for the players who do feel this way.  

Archived