Avoid Skills which are Bound to Certain Equipment

Imagine FB had introduced its 3rd stage, and much more new and stronger weapons, armors and other equipment are available:

Wolfgang, his +25 planar damage skill will certainly work for those new weapons too. And the +30% damage to aligned mobs will also work.

Wigfrid, most of her skills are only useful when using her unique weapons and armors. She will have to give up stronger weapons to maintain the dash/parry skills, or give up those skills, use future new weapons and play as "Wilson" to achieve more DPS.

Wormwood, he already lacks the fighting abilities in the current version. It is predictable that when superior armors and weapons appear, his Lunar Guardian I&II skills will be totally useless. Actually, this already prevents him from choosing to wear Void set and take less damage from Ink Blights.

So please Klei, to avoid the 3rd round of characters rework, don't design skills which are bound to certain equipment. This could be very dangerous, and the negative effects are already seen on Wormwood. 

26 minutes ago, Fufuji said:

Actually, this already prevents him from choosing to wear Void set and take less damage from Ink Blights.

inkblights are instantly countered by 1 BS staff, and the whole fight is useless just by using the item since it stuns them. I didn't like that at first actually, I was sad to just hold F and see all of them fall soo easily.

Game's ceilling is getting higher without much troubles in the way at the same time :/

2 hours ago, arubaro said:

maybe I missed the point but are you suggesting to not add skills to items? you have to chose between having a skill or more dps, what is wrong with that? do you prefer items only having numbers changed?

I think they're talking about leveling up a perk makes you able to craft something maybe?

6 hours ago, arubaro said:

maybe I missed the point but are you suggesting to not add skills to items? you have to chose between having a skill or more dps, what is wrong with that? do you prefer items only having numbers changed?

No I dislike both. I'm worrying about the possible power creep bringing current skill trees into a useless situation.

Its what kinda happened with the first round of reworks and in a way we're already seeing it with the second.  The first few reworks were pretty tame, just giving the characters personality represented in game.  Then we got to Wendy and things turned decidedly more powerful until we got Wicker and Max reworks that were basically playable boss characters.  Then Klei kicks on the skill points and starts it all over again...

I don't think its a problem to build up all of the characters to meet a certain expected power level - but doing it one by one like this means its very likely they'll continue to power creep to keep the next big thing a big thing...

Archived