A chilling tale of self-mutililation

Day 1,000, Wormwood, late autumn. I emerge from my tent moments from nightfall fully reinvigorated after having reduced myself to near nothing replenishing my reserve of living logs. With both a long evening and night, I had enough time to produce a second batch. Amid the cool pale light of the glowcaps, courtesy of Klaus, I break off 7, absorb the nutrients of some nearby manure to get the health high enough to endure one more, and make back toward my cozy awaiting tent...

Snap. Crackle. Dead.

As what's left of me floats over to my nearby pile of life-giving amulets, also courtesy of Klaus, I can't help but wonder what the point is of an on-screen warning that so often tends to occur so close to the point that damage is done that it so rarely actually prevents any damage, instead of merely accompanying it. I sigh, and simply resolve to have a fire going next time.

New tale: NO FISHING!!

Having taken care of the Deerclops on the first day of winter, and later defeating Klaus, I decide to finally expand my collection of ice breams beyond 2, something I've been meaning to do for a while. I set out, and shortly after I spot a school, I hear it. The monkeys is coming. I throw on my equipment, but it's badly worn. I don't survive the encounter. Rollback.

I head out, making sure I've got good equipment with me, I finally track down a school of ice bream and start fishing. A fish bites, and then a rockjaw appears.

There's plenty of fish in the sea,
there's no need to come after me...
Quoth the Rockjaw: I DISAGREE!

With no preparation for battle made in hopes of not losing my fishing tackle, I die quickly. Rollback!

Finally! Ice bream! Again! I successfully hook a few before those damn knuckle draggers show up. I'm ready for them this time. I slay their boarding party and board their ship. Though they're quick to put distance between their ship and mine, it does them no good and they all die screaming, or whatever it is monkeys do when their life force is ripped out b a macabre weaponized bat wing. At a loss for alternatives, I requisition the dead prime mate's battle paddle to return to my own ship, now wearing their accursed form, as freezing begins to take hold, having made the mistake of leaving my scorching sunfish behind.

I reach my ship just as my miner's hat goes dark. No matter, I quickly reach for my moggles. I reach into the tin fishin' bin, too late, as freezing claims the last of me. At least the fish are caught, they'll survive with my ship. I've gone through enough hell for my prize, and I've got a meat effigy waiting back home. I make use of its power, return to life, and make for the light. But what's this!? A strange power pulls me away?! Over and over, I try to make for the light, only to be pulled back to the darkness, which claims me yet again. I instead reach for the life giving amulets, so abundantly piled nearby, only for the same inconceivable force to pull me away from any hope of escaping death. Logout, rollback.

On 8/20/2023 at 11:38 PM, ShadowbirdRH said:

Day 1,000, Wormwood, late autumn. I emerge from my tent moments from nightfall fully reinvigorated after having reduced myself to near nothing replenishing my reserve of living logs. With both a long evening and night, I had enough time to produce a second batch. Amid the cool pale light of the glowcaps, courtesy of Klaus, I break off 7, absorb the nutrients of some nearby manure to get the health high enough to endure one more, and make back toward my cozy awaiting tent...

Snap. Crackle. Dead.

As what's left of me floats over to my nearby pile of life-giving amulets, also courtesy of Klaus, I can't help but wonder what the point is of an on-screen warning that so often tends to occur so close to the point that damage is done that it so rarely actually prevents any damage, instead of merely accompanying it. I sigh, and simply resolve to have a fire going next time.

You were farming living logs while fighting klaus?

Yeah, no. I wasn't farming living logs while fighting Klaus. I was farming living logs in the middle of my base by the light of some glowcaps that I had previously gotten the recipe and shroom skin from Klaus. I was dead before the crackling sound even finished playing.

Alright, newest, and best one yet.

So I'm just minding my own business underground, harvesting some crops after hauling some boulders around. Suddenly things freeze. I check Steam, which has spontaneously closed for no apparent reason. Alright, so fine. I wait it out, DST eventually closes itself, I fire it back up, and my world has a ? character on it, I page over to Rollback, and it lists only one entry on this near 1,400 day old world: "Day 1".

Charlie's nameless assistant, you do your master proud...

Lesson to all: make backup copies of your world. Shenanigans can be more brutal than anything the game can throw at you when its working properly.

Fortunately, this is a lesson I've already learned, so I'm only back 50ish days or so. Still burns, but it's not nearly as bad as it could be.

Archived