Can you "inherit" code?

Is there anything similar to inheritance for lua modding? I mean if I want to create a character "Wormwood v.2" with the only difference being his food health modifier, do I have to make a whole new character and copy everything or can I do it in a simpler way? I want to keep the original Wormwood and have a second copy of him aswell.

I also have a bonus question :)What is the difference between coding the same functionality in these two different ways? And is any of those alternatives preferred over the other?

Spoiler

alternative 1.

AddPrefabPostInit("wormwood", function(inst)
	inst:AddTag("reader")
	inst:AddComponent("reader")
end)

alternative 2.

local function ReadBook(prefab)
	prefab:AddTag("reader")
	prefab:AddComponent("reader")
end

AddPrefabPostInit("wormwood", ReadBook)

I can add this line to alternative 1 but does it also work for alternative 2?

inst.components.eater:SetOnEatFn()

On 8/17/2023 at 8:41 AM, kabik said:

mean if I want to create a character "Wormwood v.2" with the only difference being his food health modifier, do I have to make a whole new character and copy everything or can I do it in a simpler way?

Making a mod that bypass Klei's purchase system is not allowed, it sounds like your mod is going to do that.

On 8/17/2023 at 8:41 AM, kabik said:

What is the difference between coding the same functionality in these two different ways?

It's the same, the only difference is readability(sometimes).

2 hours ago, _zwb said:

Making a mod that bypass Klei's purchase system is not allowed, it sounds like your mod is going to do that.

I took Wormwood as an example since it was easier. I play with my children and want to use Charlie, a character mod from the workshop, I want to make a version that have less sanity/hunger drain for my children to play and one that have more sanity drain for myself. I could just make 2 copy of the character but if there is a way to "inherit" the character I won't be force to redo it every time the workshop is updated.

Why would Wormwood bypass Klei's purchase system? Is it because he is a locked character? I have all characters but its a mod character that I was interested in.

Edit: The mod I'm trying to make is not for the workshop, I know I need the modders approval if I wanted to upload something like that to the workshop. 

Edited by kabik
Added information