Feedback - Scummy move Klei

23 minutes ago, berticus0001 said:

So now we have to give permision for you to collect our data or we can't access the new clothing and stuff...... Scumbag move, if it'd said that this would be implemented i'd never have bought the game!

And just how would you like the server to give you a random skin without communicating with it? O_O

On 8/5/2023 at 8:52 PM, Knurek said:

And just how would you like the server to give you a random skin without communicating with it? O_O

Allowing them to collect my data wasn't required before the update so why is it required now?

And I have no problem with connecting to their servers for the new content, I do however have a problem with them demanding access to my data or witholding that content.

45 minutes ago, berticus0001 said:

Allowing them to collect my data wasn't required before the update so why is it required now?

by "data collection" they mean statistics on how you're playing the game, things like what buildings you've created or what critters you're ranching, which is relevant in ongoing game development in the pursuit of balancing things or just knowing what things players aren't interacting with so they know what to look into changing. Data collection being off is a way of opting out of being involved in these statistics, which is going to mean not being connected to such a server and thereby not being able to receive skins, since you're going offline.

the game functions entirely fine except for the skins not existing with this data collection setting off and thereby server connection severred. stop fearmongering

58 minutes ago, berticus0001 said:

And I have no problem with connecting to their servers for the new content, I do however have a problem with them demanding access to my data or witholding that content.

It was required since skins were introduced. They are just cosmetics, you can play without them if you worry so much about your data. 

Alternatively you can wait until the system is finished and then you might be able to purchase the skins all at once like in Don't Starve Together in a form of downloadable content. Then you probably would need to connect to the server once for sync and you could turn off data communication forever.

45 minutes ago, Primalflower said:

by "data collection" they mean statistics on how you're playing the game, things like what buildings you've created or what critters you're ranching, which is relevant in ongoing game development in the pursuit of balancing things or just knowing what things players aren't interacting with so they know what to look into changing. Data collection being off is a way of opting out of being involved in these statistics, which is going to mean not being connected to such a server and thereby not being able to receive skins, since you're going offline.

the game functions entirely fine except for the skins not existing with this data collection setting off and thereby server connection severred. stop fearmongering

I am well aware of what "Data Collection" means, my problem with it is knowing that any and all electronic security is temperary at best. Should Kleis servers get hacked those hackers now have an open door into your computer. This is not "fearmongering" this is common sense preventative measures.

26 minutes ago, Knurek said:

It was required since skins were introduced. They are just cosmetics, you can play without them if you worry so much about your data. 

Alternatively you can wait until the system is finished and then you might be able to purchase the skins all at once like in Don't Starve Together in a form of downloadable content. Then you probably would need to connect to the server once for sync and you could turn off data communication forever.

1. It was NOT required since the skins were introduced it was only implemented with the latest update.

2. They are NOT just cosmetic, they apply attribute changes to your dupes changing the mechanics of the game, eg. play a game with regular dupes then play the exact same game but with your dupes dressed in morale boosting clothing, you will find that the 2 playthroughs run very differently due to the different morale needs.

3. (Slightly different note) PURCHASE the FREE content??? PURCHASE???? the FREE content??? If I'd known they already did that on another game I would never have bought this game or any other from this company!

2 minutes ago, Primalflower said:

they will have access to your oxygen not included statistics

There are no electronic walls that cannot be torn down given time. Once they're in, they're in. All this is doing is removing one step for the hackers and making it easier for them.

17 minutes ago, berticus0001 said:

they apply attribute changes to your dupes changing the mechanics of the game

no they don't. the cosmetic skins are entirely different to the wearable clothing that you can make for your duplicants.

17 minutes ago, berticus0001 said:

There are no electronic walls that cannot be torn down given time. Once they're in, they're in. All this is doing is removing one step for the hackers and making it easier for them.

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

1 minute ago, berticus0001 said:

Then whats the point of common, decent and nifty if they are all the same?

them being categorized as such are only relevant to the rate at which they are received by the player. common ones drop more often and nifty ones less often and such. the fact that you immediately made the assumption that they affect duplicant's mood without fact checking yourself before making this post or the one where you mentioned it is disheartening

32 minutes ago, Primalflower said:

them being categorized as such are only relevant to the rate at which they are received by the player. common ones drop more often and nifty ones less often and such. the fact that you immediately made the assumption that they affect duplicant's mood without fact checking yourself before making this post or the one where you mentioned it is disheartening

Just had a look and you are correct. I recind that arguament completely. I was wrong! Only been playing for a year or so, and while I do watch toobers play it I don't sit with pen and paper in hand, would rather figure it out for myself, y'know, so every time I find a new mechanic or way to balance something that is a massive change to the way things can be done I restart so I thought they were in the fasionator(?) thingy which I've never really bothered with even when I've got that far as I'm usually too occupied with not killing all my dupes.

This does not negate the fact that after months they have decided to put it behind a data collection wall. To me this is the same as a drug-dealer getting you hooked and then telling you the price. Even if they had implimented this from the get-go, still scummy to place free content behind any kind of wall.

20 minutes ago, berticus0001 said:

This does not negate the fact that after months they have decided to put it behind a data collection wall. To me this is the same as a drug-dealer getting you hooked and then telling you the price. Even if they had implimented this from the get-go, still scummy to place free content behind any kind of wall.

If you haven't been keeping up to date with it all, then am i to trust your word that skins ceasing to drop when playing offline was implemented only recently? Is there word on this in the most recent patchnotes? Is it possible that you only engaged/received skins from the ones that were available on the klei rewards page from before the drops system was fully implemented, and you're only noticing now that the drops system doesnt work without connection to the server?

20 minutes ago, Primalflower said:

If you haven't been keeping up to date with it all, then am i to trust your word that skins ceasing to drop when playing offline was implemented only recently? Is there word on this in the most recent patchnotes? Is it possible that you only engaged/received skins from the ones that were available on the klei rewards page from before the drops system was fully implemented, and you're only noticing now that the drops system doesnt work without connection to the server?

By default I always turn off any data collection on evey game (call me paranoid if you like) but I was getting items up until this update at which point I got a pop-up when clicking New Game telling me I had to alow Data Collection or I would no longer recieve the free content.

Edit: I do play online, when offline I was getting A (singular) drop that wouldn't progress(?) if thats the word, I'd just get the same item over and over.

1 hour ago, berticus0001 said:

after months they have decided to put it behind a data collection wall

It was mentioned on December 7 that new blueprints won't show up without data communication enabled:

• Updated Supply Closet screens to show a warning that newly unlocked items won't display while data communication is disabled.

Hot Shots update with the blueprints went live on December 15.

Weird! Must'a been a bug then, or one of the previous updates turned it on by defualt and I just never noticed and then this one flipped it and turned it off by default.

I was getting the unlocks in-game while playing.

As I said, I go through all settings whenever I install a game and any options like that are instantly turned off.

Still scummy to place free content behind any kind of caveate though.

Edit: Just going through the patch notes and noticed that the lock-out is not mentioned in the release, only in the test branch which may be why I hadn't seen it, I tend to avoid test versions as they have a habbit of breaking things. Was it an oversight and they forgot to mention that in the full release notes or did they remove it? Which would explain why I've been getting them up till now.

Also, love how they changed the wording from Data Collection (which is what it is) to Data Communication, as though it's something else! lol

Edit 2: Just went through the latest update notes as well, still no mention of the lock-out, so unless you read the test branch notes from the end of last year  there is no mention of it at all.

Also note, "Updated Supply Closet screens to show a warning that newly unlocked items won't display while data communication is disabled."

Er, how can there be newly unlocked items when the unlock icon is disabled, greyed out and with a "nope" symbol next to it?

Still scummy to place free content behind any kind of caveate though.

You just can't get that these skins are not (going to be) free content, can you? From the start they made it clear they are going to make it pretty much the same as in DST.

So let me ask you: Does this look free to you?

image.thumb.png.67999a279fddcddca64168d92da2e8fe.png

All of it has a price tag and ONI will most likely look the same, because developing these awesome free game updates that we are getting every couple of months costs money. Yet they are so nice that they would give you some random skins each week anyway and all they ask in return is to turn on data communication, because the server needs to know if you're playing or not in order to reward you and it lets them make the game better by gathering statistics and crash reports. That is the price for receiving them without paying money.

Edit:

no mention of it at all

Doesn't matter.

Also note, "Updated Supply Closet screens to show a warning that newly unlocked items won't display while data communication is disabled."

Er, how can there be newly unlocked items when the unlock icon is disabled, greyed out and with a "nope" symbol next to it?

At first skins were obtained with shipments at https://accounts.klei.com/account/rewards

I'm done here, have a good day.

7 minutes ago, Knurek said:

You just can't get that these skins are not (going to be) free content, can you? From the start they made it clear they are going to make it pretty much the same as in DST.

So let me ask you: Does this look free to you?

image.thumb.png.67999a279fddcddca64168d92da2e8fe.png

All of it has a price tag and ONI will most likely look the same, because developing these awesome free game updates that we are getting every couple of months costs money. Yet they are so nice that they would give you some random skins each week anyway and all they ask in return is to turn on data communication, because the server needs to know if you're playing or not in order to reward you and it lets them make the game better by gathering statistics and crash reports. That is the price for receiving them without paying money.

Holy crap!! I don't play DST so had no idea. 300 euro's!!!!!, not even including the base game! Could they not cut it into any more smaller peices? looool

Screw this company, I'll go play Baulders Gate 3 from a another indie company that blatantly states "No microtransactions. No DLC, You pay for the game you get the whole game."

Thanks for opening my eyes to the utter contemptability of Klei.

Archived