Simple QoL improvement suggestions

I don't really like playing with mods and usually only use them for QoL improvements that the vanilla game lacks. 

I would love to see following features implemented in the base game:
- rotation of gas/liquid reservoirs
- rotation of carbon dioxide skimmer
- rotation of air filters
- being able to build over plants without the need of digging the plant first
- research queue
- option for suppressing research notifications for newly obtained buildings (when research is completed I always need to click on each of new buildings to hide the exclamation mark and I think clicking on the building category tab should dismiss all notifications in that category since the player can already see what is new)

- being able to set the expected amount of interests and more than one interest type for the starting dupes. I usually need to reroll for around 10 minutes until I'm satisfied with my starting team.
- there is a very useful pipe flow overlay mod which is super helpful with debugging flow issues and thanks to it I was able to understand the logic behind the bridges like priority merging. This would greatly benefit inexperienced players.

I would love to help with testing the preview branch and checkout the new features but I'm just too used to the above-mentioned QoL features that some of the mods provide and playing with them enabled would not benefit the developers since there would be no way to tell if bugs and crashes were caused by mods or features from the preview branch. I can imagine more players feel the same.

I think most of the listed improvements would not be that difficult to implement and I cannot see how it could impact the game in ways besides saving players some time and adding even more variety to the base designs.

A few more mods that belong on your list. Once I started using them I have no desire to play without them. All are vanilla-ish and would be big QOL improvements to the base game. Thank you for adding pliers to the game! I also love the new move command for items.

-Better Info Card
Lets you actually see whats in a huge stack of debris by displaying combined stacks of similar items and not just running endlessly off-screen. Creates new columns of text when the list reaches the bottom of the screen. Clicking through the stack only selects the item, shift clicking when you get to the item lets you rotate through the stacks. Eg. if you have 50 hatch eggs on top of other debris, you left click until you select the stack of 50 eggs and then shift click to look at each egg (to check incubation times or whatever). If you have 500t of igneous rock, you can shift click to access the individual 24-25t stacks.

image.png.57760b705305ae73968049806696e2b9.png

-Sweep by type
Gives you a selection with tick boxes similar to a storage bin when you use the sweep command. Want to collect any bleach stone around the map before it off-gasses? Want to sweep up all the slime in an area? Want to collect all the metal in an area? Super useful and doesn't require a mass sweep that might take 10+ cycles (or 50+ cycles...) This is probably one of my most desired add-ons to the base game.

image.png.0a3f1bee98239bb7d24155bbc77009fb.png

-No manual delivery
Gives all machines an option to prevent dupes from manually delivering items to them, similar to the way conveyor loaders work. Why aren't my autosweepers working? Oh, a dupe wants to drop off the material even though it isn't needed. Not anymore.

image.png.8e742e419e4ca6592f96603a97314ab5.png

-Bigger camera zoom out
Lets you zoom out farther without being in sandbox/debug. Not much else to say. Seeing things is good and the max vanilla zoom out distance leaves a lot to be desired.

To anyone not using these mods, do yourself a favor and try them out.

4 hours ago, SomeChemistGuy said:

A few more mods that belong on your list. Once I started using them I have no desire to play without them. All are vanilla-ish and would be big QOL improvements to the base game. Thank you for adding pliers to the game! I also love the new move command for items.

-Better Info Card
Lets you actually see whats in a huge stack of debris by displaying combined stacks of similar items and not just running endlessly off-screen. Creates new columns of text when the list reaches the bottom of the screen. Clicking through the stack only selects the item, shift clicking when you get to the item lets you rotate through the stacks. Eg. if you have 50 hatch eggs on top of other debris, you left click until you select the stack of 50 eggs and then shift click to look at each egg (to check incubation times or whatever). If you have 500t of igneous rock, you can shift click to access the individual 24-25t stacks.

image.png.57760b705305ae73968049806696e2b9.png

-Sweep by type
Gives you a selection with tick boxes similar to a storage bin when you use the sweep command. Want to collect any bleach stone around the map before it off-gasses? Want to sweep up all the slime in an area? Want to collect all the metal in an area? Super useful and doesn't require a mass sweep that might take 10+ cycles (or 50+ cycles...) This is probably one of my most desired add-ons to the base game.

image.png.0a3f1bee98239bb7d24155bbc77009fb.png

-No manual delivery
Gives all machines an option to prevent dupes from manually delivering items to them, similar to the way conveyor loaders work. Why aren't my autosweepers working? Oh, a dupe wants to drop off the material even though it isn't needed. Not anymore.

image.png.8e742e419e4ca6592f96603a97314ab5.png

-Bigger camera zoom out
Lets you zoom out farther without being in sandbox/debug. Not much else to say. Seeing things is good and the max vanilla zoom out distance leaves a lot to be desired.

To anyone not using these mods, do yourself a favor and try them out.

I use 5 mods, this is 3 of them.

Archived