CLRR: Mega Research Reactor - 2023 Still Works?

Hey everyone, had a quick question if anyone knows if the CLRR from this post from 2021 still works? 

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/136485-clrr-mega-research-reactor-tutorial/

I'm in the process of setting this up on my current playthrough and I don't understand how to get the nuclear waste to fil around the aquatuners without them just leaking the nuclear waste in the pipes and requiring repairs before there's enough liquid in there that it stops. 

It works. I built my own (similar) design just recently, and it's running 43 turbines (w/ supercoolant).

Waste won't leak as long as it's moving. I've used waste in a reactor, and you just have to either start with another coolant, and/or feed the waste in in small amounts so it doesn't overheat the system.

But with how easy it is to get supercoolant, there's little reason to use waste. One rocket trip to a fullerene/gold POI, plus the tiniest bit of petro, will produce enough coolant for multiple projects.

On 5/20/2023 at 3:56 AM, N9gg said:

Hey everyone, had a quick question if anyone knows if the CLRR from this post from 2021 still works? 

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/136485-clrr-mega-research-reactor-tutorial/

I'm in the process of setting this up on my current playthrough and I don't understand how to get the nuclear waste to fil around the aquatuners without them just leaking the nuclear waste in the pipes and requiring repairs before there's enough liquid in there that it stops. 

If you reduce the water with a little valve, you can increase the temperature. If you cut too much, it creates a risk of explosion and produces extra waste gas.

If you give plain water without doing anything, 10 steam generators will run smoothly by default.

image.png.fb20afb817bbb92de702b6796b801929.png

Update after many more hours of running.  I'm running 950 g/s coolant which is outputting temperatures around 2200.  I find that how cool the waste gets isn't consistent enough to set the pump based on the temp of 210 and the pressure of 800.  I suggest going with a higher temp to start maybe 220 and then slowly decrease that.  If the waste pool gets too big, it gets too hot and you get nuclear fallout gumming up the works.  I ended up adding another pressure sensor set at 999 to make it pump regardless of temperature when it starts to get too full to avoid having to deal with fallout.

I don't know if I don't have enough water or if I have too much but it only seems 3 steam turbines are powered by the waste and only one of them is ever really in the green.  This is my first long term playthrough so I'm just getting the hang of how stuff works.  I've probably made a few mistakes along the way but I figured I would share my experience.

Only 3?!?

It should be closer to 43...

The biggest issue is moving the heat away from the fallout. I use a floor and tempshift plates all made of aluminum. This is enough to transport heat to 39 of my 41 turbines (4 rows of 5 turbines on each side of the reactor, plus 1 right over it). If I wanted, I could probably get the last two fully running by adding more steam, but my base is fully powered so I called it a day. :) 

Sorry thats 45 in the main reactor all powered at max or nearly and 3 from cooling the waste from 210 down to 95 as it's pumped out.

I've got stupid amounts of thermium.  So I have made the floor and tempshift plates out of thermium.  I play on max speed because I'm impatient when they are building but I'm also not the quickest decision maker so on this run I've got 3950 cycles so far.  I've got plenty of thermium, niobium and super coolant.  I still haven't got isoresin.....  That's my next step I think.

Archived