Textile loom, Atmo Suit

Hello, 

The textile loom offers a few options: 1. Cool Vest, 2. Snazzy Suit, 3. Warm Sweater

However, unfortunately, there is practically no need to use the cool vest or warm sweater in the game. The temperatures you encounter are still manageable without any of those, and the atmo suit is available too quickly, which then renders both of those clothes outright useless.

One of the reasons why the cool vest and warm sweater are not often used is because they are difficult to put on. You need to find them first and click on them, and then assign them to a certain duplicant. That is often not easily doable if you forgot where the clothes are. It is possible to put all clothes in one storage bin that is easy to find, but you cannot assign a duplicant to a piece of cloth from the storage bin menu. The clothes must be dropped out first, which is overly impractical.

I find it unfortunate and sad that certain clothes in the game are not used, even if I think that they would add more to the feeling of a game being a survival game. 

I would suggest adding a new building to the game, like a wardrobe. The wardrobe can store those specific clothes and when clicking on it, there should be an easy to access menu to assign all clothes quickly to any duplicant. Aside from that, the wardrobe design would look pretty and add a decor bonus (and more atmosphere to the game).

I would even go so far as to say that such a wardrobe is needed in-game to put on the many different blueprint clothes that are coming now.

Having said that, I want to point out another issue (at least I think it is an issue): The atmo suit is too easily and quickly available. As soon as the atmo suit is there, virtually all problems outside in the wild of the world disappear. This undermines a slow, careful, and gradual development of a colony. After all, ONI is a survival game. But the looming threat to survival is quickly stifled with an all-powerful atmo suit. 

I absolutely like the atmo suit, but I think it should be available in the game significantly later. I would add one more rare component that is needed (aside from refined metal and reed fiber). This additional component should be located at the outer fringes of the map (or at least much farther away from the core base). Through this, the player would be forced to slowly and carefully navigate through the different biomes and finally make use of the cool vest or warm sweater, depending on temperature. 

On top of that, the player can then enjoy the simple but beloved oxygen masks for much longer. Will you have eye irritation then sometimes? And soggy feet? Yes, you will have! And that is great, because a survival game includes periods of suffering, hardship, and scarcity.

If then the atmo suit is finally available after a longer time, the feeling of success and relief is even higher, and well-deserved.

Archived