First Co-Op Experience With My Husband Was a Blast

So for reference, my husband started playing Don't Starve/Don't Starve Together a little over a year ago and finally got me into it this past December. After playing for a bit on my own, I was finally confident enough to play alongside him in a shared DST world. We created a pretty standard survival world. I played as Willow and he played as Wigfrid (because we ship them lol).

Things started pretty smoothly. I really liked focusing on the base, so I/Willow set up the rabbit traps, crock pots, and drying racks while my husband/Wigfrid went out gathering resources to bring back. The strategy worked pretty well and matched both of our play styles, so we made it into late winter pretty handily and began preparing to take on the Deerclops. My husband was particularly excited to fight the Deerclops as Wigfrid, since he had mostly won the battle in the past by relying Webber's spider army.

Then the mistakes started. I was supposed to be in charge of sanity/health restoring food, but I only managed to prepare about 6 Pierogis and 10 small jerkies in total before Deerclops spawned, with 5 large jerkies still in the process of drying. I also didn't do an excellent job maintaining Willow's hunger, so I was basically starving when the first Deerclops warning came and we had to run away from base camp. In my panic, I also left Bernie behind. But we were still armed with two battle helms and log suits each, as well as a battle spear for Wigfrid and a Ham Bat for Willow.

We managed to make it to a nearby Pig Village just before Deerclops spawned, which was a really fun backdrop for the battle with the pigs occasionally running in to join the fight. It was my first real boss battle so I definitely struggled, especially with the limited healing/sanity restoring items. I tried to kite, but not knowing the exact animation pattern of the Deerclops made it difficult to do consistently. The Deerclops managed to plow through all four of my/Willow's armor pieces and reduce me to almost no health, but just after that my husband/Wigfrid landed the finishing blow and we both cheered. It was a great moment.

Only now Willow was completely armorless, fully insane, and at almost zero health. I began just running in an endless circle being chased by an increasing number of Terrorbeaks, having accepted my fate. My husband pointed out that Bernie could save me, not realizing I had foolishly left the fella at base camp. Unable to pull up my map, I had to rely on following my husband/Wigfrid there without letting myself get caught by the increasing number of Terrorbeaks.

I made it in the knick of time, barely clinging to life as Bernie roared to life and distracted the shadows long enough for Willow to begin chomping down all the finally finished large jerky on the drying racks. Bernie seemed to make the shadow monsters vulnerable to Wigfrid too (who was at full health/sanity from defeating the Deerclops), so they were dealt with by the time Willow had restored her health and sanity.

It was genuinely one of the most exciting and fulfilling experiences I've had playing a video game, especially co-op. And if I do say so myself, not bad for my first time fighting a Don't Starve boss!

Anyway, then Spring started and a Moose/Goose immediately laid an egg in the middle of our base. So we'll see how that goes.

Archived