Give Duplicants a mission: Send resources back to origin colony

If you'll remember, the initial message immediately after starting a new game starts with this:

"The asteroid we call home has collided with an anomalous planet, decimating our colony. Rebuilding it is of the utmost importance."

Thing is, despite that message and despite the Printing Pod offering to print either a new Dupe or a Care Package for the new colony every 3 cycles, I'm not aware of a mechanism through which the player can send resources back to that original "asteroid we call home". And I would assume this is the home of the 'overseer' directing the dupes, operating the Printing Pod, etc. If the goal is to rebuild the original colony, then wouldn't that require sending it resources?

In general theme, I am reminded a little bit of a couple other games where the player is sent to colonize and explore planets - specifically, TerraTech and Astroneer. In TerraTech, there are Trading Stations where the player can sell resources, which are immediately launched into orbit (presumably to be taken back to Earth or somewhere else where they're needed). Astroneer does not have the same or similar system. But it does have a holiday event and other limited time events where the player can do certain things (like recycle stuff or build a rocket launch system to send gifts back) in exchange for both points and "Care Packages" with random resources and useful stuff.

Anyway, my idea is to implement a system that is, vaguely, a bit similar. Instead of the Printing Pod being ready to print new Dupes or Care Packages every 3 cycles, the length of time between each printing would be heavily influenced by the value (e.g., rarity) and quantity of resources "sent back" to the original colony.

The game already has several methods to send resources somewhere, from rockets to Teleporters and the Interplanetary Launcher. Though, ideally, a way would be added to put gas, liquid and solid inputs on the Printing Pod to do this so it would be available in the early game.

Anyway, the rarity of the resources would have a big impact on the number of points earned and the degree of time shortened between Printing Pod uses, with Artifacts and space materials like Neutronium and Isoresin being especially valued. (For game balance, low value raw minerals like Sandstone and Sedimentary Rock should probably be rejected for being too common.) Finally, a point counter could be added to keep tally of accumulated points, which could sort of serve as a game score and a goal for players to aim for.

Archived