The character mod I created keeps crashing when I try to play in a world with it

[00:00:44]: error loading module 'speech_wasper' from file '../mods/wasper\scripts\speech_wasper.lua':
    [string "cannot OLDFILEACCESSMETHOD @../mods/wasper\scripts\speech_waspe..."]:501: '}' expected (to close '{' at line 10) near 'ANTLION'

Here is where the error is, if you go into your speech_wasper file then search "ANTLION" or go to line 501, you just need to close the curly brace

ANTLION =
        {
            GENERIC = "It wants something from me.",
            VERYHAPPY = "I think we're on good terms.",
            UNHAPPY = "It looks mad.",
        },

It would look like this, I'm assuming you're just missing the }, part. If not then you might be missing the a comma after one of the lines.

If its none of that, you can send the same snippet from your code

1 hour ago, Jasperagoose said:

Thanks for the reply Merkyrrie, I checked the speech file and it was fine, like the curly brace was closed and all.

This is the same snippet that you showed me but from my code:

image.png.3a44210cf4ba0628f95f487d20f09b21.png

Oh you know what, judging from the "on line 10" in the error log I was very wrong about where the error was, my bad. For some reason its expecting you to close the curly brace after return near the start of the file at ANTLION instead of the actual place you'd want to. Its kind of hard to judge exactly what part of the file is missing something. I can look through it if you want, but there's almost certainly a missing or additional comma or curly brace somewhere breaking which pieces of curly braces it thinks goes to what.

1 hour ago, Merkyrrie said:

Oh you know what, judging from the "on line 10" in the error log I was very wrong about where the error was, my bad. For some reason its expecting you to close the curly brace after return near the start of the file at ANTLION instead of the actual place you'd want to. Its kind of hard to judge exactly what part of the file is missing something. I can look through it if you want, but there's almost certainly a missing or additional comma or curly brace somewhere breaking which pieces of curly braces it thinks goes to what.

Sorry for the late response, had to run some errands. I will send you the speech file so you can maybe look through it to see what exactly could be wrong.

speech_wasper.lua

8 hours ago, Merkyrrie said:

Yeah its just a missing comma after the } on line 500

I have also tested and found out for sure that the problem is the speech file because I made another mod that was identical but the speech file was unchanged from the starting one, and it worked fine in game.

7 hours ago, Jasperagoose said:

I put a comma after the } on line 500, but it still crashes so Im guessing there might still be a problem with one of the files or something. Here is the updated client_log.txt.

client_log.txt 37.97 kB · 1 download

Line 2642 has an extra " and . after the quote, just delete those and keep the comma. Also 9/10 the error in the code will be on or right before the line mentioned in the log

And yeah, the trouble with going through 3000 lines of code changing each quote is you're bound to mess up somewhere and you won't know until its running

1 hour ago, Merkyrrie said:

Line 2642 has an extra " and . after the quote, just delete those and keep the comma. Also 9/10 the error in the code will be on or right before the line mentioned in the log

And yeah, the trouble with going through 3000 lines of code changing each quote is you're bound to mess up somewhere and you won't know until its running

Thanks for all the help so far by the way. Also I found an error in the client_log file, but I don't exactly understand what it means. I would appreciate it if you were to give your insight into what this could be asking me to do:

image.thumb.png.16c2ee3efe8da7e7b171108ab8a87ad6.png

30 minutes ago, Jasperagoose said:

Thanks for all the help so far by the way. Also I found an error in the client_log file, but I don't exactly understand what it means. I would appreciate it if you were to give your insight into what this could be asking me to do:

image.thumb.png.16c2ee3efe8da7e7b171108ab8a87ad6.png

Hi there.

This is happening because every line after 2995 is not being included in the opening brackets of the speech file. Something is causing the bracket to close before it should.

I have a hunch it's the closing bracket on line 500 causing this - it shouldn't be there. Try deleting it and see if that helps.

Edited by Chesed

7 minutes ago, Chesed said:

Hi there.

This is happening because every line after 2995 is not being included in the opening brackets of the speech file. Something is causing the bracket to close before it should.

I have a hunch it's the closing bracket on line 500 causing this - it shouldn't be there. Try deleting it.

Thank you so much, it worked. I tested the mod and after I deleted that closing bracket it didn't crash and worked. I am truly thankful for all of your help Merkyrrie and Chesed.

• Health 2