How to “reskin” existing characters when creating a mod?

Hi there! I have the basics of character mod creation down, and I’m wanting to start as simple as possible for my first project.

I'm aiming to add me and my three friends into the game, by redrawing assets for existing characters and rewriting their speech lines. Otherwise, the characters remain the exact same in the ways of perks and stats! 

for example, I’m wanting to turn Wendy into myself. Using the popular template, I’ve already figured out my own sprite, animations, and speech (yay!), is there a way I can take Wendy’s perks directly from the game files and apply them to my custom ‘Me’ character? If so, where can I find them- I think I know where to put them, so I’m not worried about that! 

one final question, how would I be able to edit sprites of character specific entities or items? For example, editing Abigail into a little ghost of my cat for the mod- and having that be my ‘Me’s version of Abigail?

hope this makes sense- if you have any further questions feel free to ask, and thank you so insanely much for your time taken to help me!

local function fn()
  local wendy=Prefabs.wendy.fn()--defined in scripts/prefabs/wendy.lua and ...
  return wendy
end

Then you get a Wendy. Or you may want to copy and paste.

Abigail is a ghost with or without Wendy, her animation files are ghost_abigail_build.zip and player_ghost_withhat.zip

Edited by Rickzzs

10 hours ago, Rickzzs said:
local function fn()
  local wendy=Prefabs.wendy.fn()--defined in scripts/prefabs/wendy.lua and ...
  return wendy
end

Then you get a Wendy. Or you may want to copy and paste.

Abigail is a ghost with or without Wendy, her animation files are ghost_abigail_build.zip and player_ghost_withhat.zip

Thank you so so much! Where in my folder (based on the popular template) should I put this code?