A Rockjaw, a Krampus and a Beefalo come into a bar...

It all started with the Rockjaw. Approximately day 350ish, I was minding my own buisiness, sailing rowing peacefully through one of the waterlogged biomes, when the classical shark sound alerted me to immediate danger. I had no prior experience fighting these things myself, only remembered one of glermz' characters dieing to one, so I was very cautious. About 15 minutes of trial and error later, I still couldn't figure out a proper kiting pattern. It seemed I was getting in 1 hit at most, before having to retreat. Sometimes the damn thing would jump onto the boat, get hit once  jump off again, before I could even hit it a second time. Sometimes it stayed forever. After an eternity it finally died.

I continued to gather nice cozy things like fireflies and knobbly tree nuts, when a second one appeared. "Give me a ******* break!", I shouted and prepared for another 2 days of hit and run with the elusive and unpredictable Rockjaw. Then it struck me, I had brought some Blow Darts to try out on Malbatross. "Anything to speed this up", I thought to myself and mere seconds later, the Rockjaw exploded into clumps of raw fish with a satisfying *chump*.

I do have a weak spot for items that are widely considered to be useless. I guess it's my way of trying to be special. Even though I have never suceeded at finding that awesome use, that everybody else before me just didn't realize, I keep trying. I guess I am crazy.

Soooooooo: Blow Darts did amazing against Mr Rockjaw and I have those piling up from MacTusk anyways, but... What IF the Rockjaw is always WET? It's swimming in the ocean, so it damn well should be? Wouldn't Electrial Darts be better then? Well, IF the rockjaw is WET; then Electrical Dart's 150 damage beats Blow Dart's 100 damage, but finding a use for this useless item? Priceless.

I'm playing Wickerbottom (refreh ftw), so it should be somewhat easy to farm feathers, right? What's the fun in copying other peoples designs on rather simple and basic things like feather farms? I had utilized the Birds-Sleepytime combo before, so I knew the Krampi were going to be annoying. Also bird colours are determined by turf and I would need a scarecrow for the canaries. Seemed simple enough, so after a few tests, I decided to set something up, rather far away from my base, because I didn't want Krampi running rampart anywhere remotely close to my valuables.

It worked out pretty well. I don't like having to kill the Krampi by hand and Klaus gave me a Sack in the 2nd year already, so there is really no reason to either. I was already wondering, if I couldn't just leave them there, running against the wall statues forever, when I picked up the second last item on the floor. This triggered something in their AI, and some of them started running away, grabbing everything around. Of course they returned shortly after, since there was basically nothing, but so did my beefalo. Namira is your friendly rider, which I had tamed in my first summer. I simply couldn't figure out, what was going on. I had parked her pretty far away, why would she suddenly hug the Krampi? At first I thought, they were attacking each other. 

"Curious", I left the pen, wondering what would happen, if I pick up the bell. Then I realized, one of the Krampi must have it and my beefalo is following him now. "You are not going to steal my beefalo!". Determination in my eyes, I proceeded to kill them one by one. Of course it was the last one who dropped the bell. Still wondering, if he had despawned, would Namira despawn with him? Would she unbond? Almost curious enough to try out, next time.

Oh and of course I still don't know if Rockjaws are wet by default. Also don't understand, why I'm getting so few yellow feathers. Shouldn't all the birds be canaries? Something to figure out, I guess.

Bild_2022-08-20_205056510.png

Archived