Is there a way to Upvalue Hack this local variable?

I want to change friendly fruit fly's SEE_DIST to extend its range in finding farm plants to tend. However, this SEE_DIST is a local variable in findfarmplant.lua, which is in scripts/behaviors. I've only dabbled with AddPrefabPostInit so far and I've no idea how to modify scripts in scripts/behaviours.

On the other hand, I've dabbled with Upvalue Hacker and I've tested and made a handful of modifications with it. But how can I reach SEE_DIST with it?

Here's its reference chain:

Prefabs.friendlyfruitfly.fn -> *"friendlybrain" -> "FriendlyFruitFlyBrain:OnStart" -> "FindFarmPlant" -> "SEE_DIST"

friendlybrain is however a "table" (it's a file called from require). I've tried skipping this to no avail.

If Upvalue is out of the question, is there another way? I know findfarmplant.lua is just a small script and there would probably be no harm in just loading my own, but I would love to know first how to do it the "clean" way, if there is.

Edit: I just realized I don't even know how to replace non-Prefab files via modmain.lua...

Edited by GrowthMindset
Just realized

This should probably be as simple as:

local MY_SEE_DIST = 160 --this is the diameter of a player's render range, which is definitely excessive

AddClassPostConstruct("behaviours\findfarmplant", function(self)
    UpvalueHacker.SetUpvalue(self.PickTarget, MY_SEE_DIST, "SEE_DIST")
end)

You can definitely just replace the script, though. Use a custom TUNING value in the replacement script if you want to make it configurable.

Edited by Bumber64

1 hour ago, Bumber64 said:

This should probably be as simple as:

local MY_SEE_DIST = 160 --this is the diameter of a player's render range, which is definitely excessive

AddClassPostConstruct("behaviours\findfarmplant", function(self)
    UpvalueHacker.SetUpvalue(self.PickTarget, MY_SEE_DIST, "SEE_DIST")
end)

You can definitely just replace the script, though. Use a custom TUNING value in the replacement script if you want to make it configurable.

Thanks but I figured it out. I remember trying AddClassPostConstruct and failing with the logs saying findfarmplant isn't a proper class.

But this worked:

AddBrainPostInit("friendlyfruitflybrain", function(brain)
	local SEE_DIST = 100
	local index = nil
	for i,v in ipairs(brain.bt.root.children) do
		if v.name == "FindFarmPlant" then
			index = i
			break
		end
	end
	UpvalueHacker.SetUpvalue(brain.bt.root.children[index].PickTarget, SEE_DIST, "SEE_DIST")
end)

The next problem was it also affected hostile fruitflies. So I thought of a better and more-future proof solution.

Edited by GrowthMindset
made whitespace consistent, although tab sucks in this forums.. hmm..