How can I have a function that triggers when you walk nearby the ocean?

I am developing a character mod right now and I plan to have one of their abilities trigger when they are nearby the ocean in Vanillia, RoG and Hamlet, as of now I plan that when they are nearby the ocean, they gain a speed boost and dapperness bonus.

Trouble is, I have no damn idea how to make the code to work. What I had tried to do is go through the code of the game looking for some effect that was similar to what I wanted so that I could use it/rework it. I found that Penguins had a function that triggers when a player goes nearby the ocean, which was the closest thing I could find. Issue is I cannot figure out if I can fit it into working in a character file and having it trigger something else other than Penguin spawning. So far I have been unsuccessful. 

So, I need some code that triggers an effect when the player goes nearby the ocean. Anyone think that they can help me out? I would be super thankful!

Cheers fellas.

On 5/31/2022 at 4:26 PM, minty1 said:

I am developing a character mod right now and I plan to have one of their abilities trigger when they are nearby the ocean in Vanillia, RoG and Hamlet, as of now I plan that when they are nearby the ocean, they gain a speed boost and dapperness bonus.

Trouble is, I have no damn idea how to make the code to work. What I had tried to do is go through the code of the game looking for some effect that was similar to what I wanted so that I could use it/rework it. I found that Penguins had a function that triggers when a player goes nearby the ocean, which was the closest thing I could find. Issue is I cannot figure out if I can fit it into working in a character file and having it trigger something else other than Penguin spawning. So far I have been unsuccessful. 

So, I need some code that triggers an effect when the player goes nearby the ocean. Anyone think that they can help me out? I would be super thankful!

Cheers fellas.

I use this for one of my mods:

local function IsHole(x,y,z)
    return GetGroundTypeAtPosition(Vector3(x,y,z)) == GROUND.IMPASSABLE 
end

local function IsPointNearHole(x,y,z)
    local ground = GetWorld()
    local radius = .5

for i = -radius, radius, 1 do
        if IsHole(x - radius, y, z + i) or IsHole(x + radius, y, z + i) then
            return true
        end
    end
    for i = -(radius - 1), radius - 1, 1 do
        if IsHole(x + i, y, z -radius) or IsHole(x + i, y, z + radius) then
            return true
        end
    end
    return false
end

Change the radius for the distance. This checks if is near a hole (ocean, vacum in caves), of cource you can check if the GetWorld().prefab = "forest" for checking for surface.

Archived