CLRR: Mega Research Reactor Tutorial

I loaded up the world to try it out and understand the design better, but when I turned it on, it seemed like it started breaking immediately. The thermal waste didn't cool enough, so the thermal sensor never went on, so the waste started overflowing. Do you have any idea what it could be on my end that would cause this? Also, I'm curious about the other design on the world. Is that an earlier attempt that didn't work out? Also, I would be interested in your take on the fuel limited reactor. 

Screenshot 2022-02-10 at 09.43.57.png

12 hours ago, Holger_ said:

I loaded up the world to try it out and understand the design better, but when I turned it on, it seemed like it started breaking immediately. The thermal waste didn't cool enough, so the thermal sensor never went on, so the waste started overflowing. Do you have any idea what it could be on my end that would cause this? Also, I'm curious about the other design on the world. Is that an earlier attempt that didn't work out? Also, I would be interested in your take on the fuel limited reactor. 

Screenshot 2022-02-10 at 09.43.57.png

When i build this on survival one of my cluster has a aluminum volcano i use checker design aluminum tempshift plate with granite shiftplate. My steam is stable 190c and nuclear waste is 200c. no pipe used though 

On 12/25/2021 at 1:53 AM, Nedigo said:

Important note: The following build depends on the Rotate Everything mod. It's definitely possible to build without the mod, but it looks much cleaner this way.

I'm struggling to see what is it that you rotated using the mod?

On 2/10/2022 at 3:47 AM, Holger_ said:

It could be a number of things, from low thermal conductivity between the basin and the steam, the output temperature being too high, or not enough heat sinks. Adding bridge connectors helps with transferring heat, and increasing the coolant via the valve to the reactor will lower the overall temperature, both tips mentioned in the post.

The main post is about my most recent design, finalized in sandbox and tested in survival. I could definitely be improved on, though, but gives you a good idea on how to build something using the coolant-limited mechanic.

I actually started with a FLRR before learning about the CLRR mechanics, but it was pretty inefficient and not worth the trouble imo. I'd much rather turn the limited amount of uranium available into the most energy per mass than to worry about something quick and simple to set up.

On 2/10/2022 at 6:08 PM, Lomion said:

I'm struggling to see what is it that you rotated using the mod?

The turbines and aquatuners are flipped to keep the symmetry. The turbines don't matter much, but being able to flip the ATs help a lot.

18 minutes ago, Nedigo said:

The turbines and aquatuners are flipped to keep the symmetry. The turbines don't matter much, but being able to flip the ATs help a lot.

Err. But aquatuners and turbines are flippable from left to right even in vanilla. Aquatuners have been like this for ages.

Btw, quite nice tutorial. Took my build, added valve, removed second reactor and added 4 more turbines and with 2000 g/s it's quite stable even with 24 turbines per 2 aquatuners. I can add that after excessive research and testing i've come to conclusion that golden radiant pipes are a must, everything else is unacceptable.

Archived