Weird control issues

Just a couple of annoying control issues that I've seen come up that could potentially be fixed...

1) tapping on the movement joystick button thing on the screen also interacts with anything underneath it. Best case scenario, you get a little chat bubble from your character and move on. Worst case, you spend hours building up Webber's spider nest base only to have your 20 spider minions attack one of your nests because you wanted to move but accidentally had any tool equipped so all your spider friends attacked their home which sets off a chain reaction.

Isolate the move, use and attack buttons on screen and have tapping the screen anywhere else bring up a menu like long tapping currently does for the rest of the other commands. Or stop making the default tap being attack when you already have an attack button on screen.

2) Building is pretty terrible. Building any sort of semantical structure requires a bunch of rotating and a lot of time... or trial and error. Which is the worst.

Maybe give all placable objects (bushes, saplings, walls, etc) the same green outline that other structures like science machines, drying racks, crock pots have. Would be much easier to see where I'm planting those pinecones... and would help my ocd when placing bushes... and would save a hell of a lot of time misplacing walls, then slowly lining them up until they don't say "repair" then rotating until I can place them again.

3) I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software problem, but Inventory management is weird. Any item I try to drag around has an icon about half an inch above where I'm trying to drag it. Which means I have to kinda try to drag my finger a little lower than where I want the item to go. I feel like that probably ties in with #2 and is most likely a hardware issue.

4) Combat has a bit of a learning curve. It isn't terrible, but it's different so you need to get used to it. Holding down the attack button then immediately switching over to movement just continues to attack.

I don't think there is much of a solution to that given the hardware. You just kinda have to get used to it. Never been that great at kiting in Don't Starve, but I can still get 4 bashes on a pig and run away without getting hurt. Just kinda have to get used to the controls being limited and less forgiving than mouse and keyboard.

That all being said... the game is still very playable and very enjoyable. I've just had a couple of experiences that really made me sad. That Webber fortress that was reduced to nothing because I tried to move when I had an axe equipped was really painful. But hey... that's why you don't equip any sort of tool when surrounded by your spider nests and hay wall-enclosed Glommer... or... like... don't panic during a hound attack and accidentally tap on literally everything on screen trying to de aggro all of your spiders... So much death... My poor boys...

Archived